CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

martin

15th April 2015, 16:55
25a: Need to restrict Nigel's central pledge: *a*r*n*. "Warrant" is all I can come up with, which is "want" around "rra". All very well, but Nigel's surname is spelt "Farage".....unless there's another Nigel around. Can anybody enlighten me, please?
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

elle

15th April 2015, 18:45
I would think the answer IS 'warrant'
Want = need, around 'ra' (centre of 'FaRAge' but then where does the extra 'r' come from'?
sorry, can't go any further......
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

15th April 2015, 19:07
It has to be warrant : pledge

Compiler error i feel sure, as do others on other forums.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

martin

15th April 2015, 19:12
Thank you both - that's what I thought, as well. Let's hope that the man Nige isn't too upset.....and that he doesn't upset his pint. He probably doesn't read the Eye, though......they're too rude about him.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

gasmanjack

16th April 2015, 09:40
Can anyone explain 24 - University hospital covers arse well? Looks like ACADEMY, why?
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th April 2015, 09:47
university : academy
hospital: A & E
covers arse : cad
well : My!
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

sawyerhja

21st April 2015, 17:45
Yes, it has to be WARRANT, unless, unless....... At first, I selected BARRING as the answer, qualified by the clues "Need to restrict..." and "Nigel's centre pledge" (being Immigration policy). But then, the clues would be imprecise and not Cyclops' standard. An Interesting one, unless - as you say, there is another Nigel?
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

cct1953

23rd April 2015, 14:46
An "r" can be short for "restricted" as defined on the free dictionary website. (Sorry but this website will not let me post the link, as I'm a relatively new user.)
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

mamya

23rd April 2015, 15:02
This is your link...

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/R

I considered that but took 'Restricted' to be the incursion/containment indicator, maybe doing double duty?
9 of 9  -   Report This Post