CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mh

28th February 2010, 23:05
Thanks Colin/JDO for 19d. Please explain the wordplay that produces 'mimes'from above clue (if you agree that's the answer!)
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

jdovengloves

28th February 2010, 23:25
I don't know the answer - but presume that it's

either IM or AM for one master - in a three letter old word for master.

A quick scan of Chambers is not coming up with anything.

Good Luck !
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

jdovengloves

28th February 2010, 23:27
sorry I mean IM or AM for one medium
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

ajt

28th February 2010, 23:34
Chambers gives Massa or Mes as a form of master. Mes contains im - 1 medium. To mime is to act and show feeling without words
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

jdovengloves

28th February 2010, 23:50
Well done AJT !

I can see the definition of Mes. now , I thought the redirection to Mass. meant it was a variant of Massachusetts, so I didn't pursue.

In mitigation I have had a few glasses of Pinot Grigio

Now I've been involved in this discussion - I may cut out the crossword and have a go.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

ajt

28th February 2010, 23:57
Thank you JDO. I thought the capital M shouldn't have been used here - like you I thought Maaschusetts - except they don't define proper nouns in most cases. Your Pinot Grigio excuses you!
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

jdovengloves

1st March 2010, 00:07
I thank you.....

I've finished the Saturday Times, The Sunday Times, The TLS and the Observer, so I'm happy to help other solvers.

I'm not in work until 2pm tomorrow - so I'm taking the opportunity to stay up late and imbibe whilst listening to my favourite band - Half Man Half Biscuit - currently the album Four Lads Who Shook the Wirral.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post