CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pooksahib

21st January 2009, 22:14
Many thanks JimC, terry and BigDave. I can see I'm going to enjoy this site - just what I've been looking for after recently taking on the crossword on a regular basis.
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

22nd January 2009, 10:57
Here's 2 more:
"Revolutionary takes a cake ingredient" = 'vanilla'. Pancho Villa, of course, but it's not 'a' that's been inserted, it's 'an'. Is it normal to use 'a' and 'an' interchangeably?

"Child's bursting in - time flies, like sparrows?" = 'chirruping'. My working is 'ch'+'interrupting' which leaves 'ntet' to be taken out but the clue tells us to take 'time' out. Any ideas?
10 of 17  -   Report This Post

jimc

22nd January 2009, 11:07
Concerning ... "Child's bursting in - time flies, like sparrows?" = 'chirruping' ... I think it is CH + IRRUPTING with the T for time taken out.
11 of 17  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

23rd January 2009, 15:14
How about this:
"Deal maybe with the log" = 'timber'
"Moral objection over the small weight" = 'scruple'.

I can't see how either clue works...
12 of 17  -   Report This Post

jimc

23rd January 2009, 16:07
Besides being a moral objection, a scruple is also a unit of weight.
13 of 17  -   Report This Post

jimc

23rd January 2009, 16:11
For "Deal maybe with the log" = 'timber'...

I may be wrong, but I think this is TIMER (log)
with a B (mayB) inside it. 'Deal' can mean a plank of wood.
14 of 17  -   Report This Post

big dave

23rd January 2009, 16:29
pooksahib - if you have any more of these, it helps a lot if you say where they are from. Some crossword setters are a lot more devious than others.
15 of 17  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

25th January 2009, 13:44
Here's one from my local paper - compiler is Hazel Goldman.
"Final offer last month - I'm with a corporation" = 'ultimatum'. ULT-I'M-A, that's fine, but where's TUM coming from? Thanks.
16 of 17  -   Report This Post

big dave

25th January 2009, 14:00
This one made me smile !!

Corporation has an alternate meaning of belly, especially a pot belly, hence stomach / tummy / tum

I'm sure you're not affected by this, so you have a good reason for not knowing!!
17 of 17  -   Report This Post