CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pooksahib

21st January 2009, 18:58
Hello. Perhaps some kind soul will explain the logic behind these clues to me:
"He may suppress smoker during service, they say" = 'censor' (I think). I'm not seeing the relevance of 'smoker/service'.

"It's not new in gang rioting with men turning up" = 'aggro'. How do we get the final 'ro'?

"He judges fools and small men" = 'assessor'. Same theme as above. Apparently 'men'='or'. Why?

"Making donation, provided money's invested in Girl Guides" = 'gifting'. The GG is clear. Could money be FT (Financial Times)? Still doesn't make complete sense...

"Involve handing on the property" = 'entail'.

Many thanks
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

jimc

21st January 2009, 19:12
1st one: A censer is an incense container used in church services.

4th one: GG=girl guide, IF=provided, TIN=money.

I agree, OR=men ... seems odd. Maybe OR=Operations Research, which is a group that plans manpower ("men") etc...??
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

jimc

21st January 2009, 19:14
Are you sure that "Involve handing on the property" is ENTAIL? I just thought that it could be ESTATE.
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

terry

21st January 2009, 19:48
OR is a standard abbreviation for OTHER RANKS (in the army).
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

jimc

21st January 2009, 19:51
Ahhhhh ... OTHER RANKS ! Thanks Terry.
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

terry

21st January 2009, 19:57
ENTAIL. Has several meanings related to property. The dictionary on this site has about five different ones.
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

big dave

21st January 2009, 19:57
Entail is correct - it's a dual meaning:

To quote Chambers (the Crossword Puzzlers Bible !)

* to bring on or result in as an inevitable consequence
* to settle on a series of heirs for (an estate), so that the immediate possessor may not dispose of it (law)
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

jimc

21st January 2009, 20:02
ENTAIL it is then - thanks :)
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

21st January 2009, 22:14
Many thanks JimC, terry and BigDave. I can see I'm going to enjoy this site - just what I've been looking for after recently taking on the crossword on a regular basis.
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

22nd January 2009, 10:57
Here's 2 more:
"Revolutionary takes a cake ingredient" = 'vanilla'. Pancho Villa, of course, but it's not 'a' that's been inserted, it's 'an'. Is it normal to use 'a' and 'an' interchangeably?

"Child's bursting in - time flies, like sparrows?" = 'chirruping'. My working is 'ch'+'interrupting' which leaves 'ntet' to be taken out but the clue tells us to take 'time' out. Any ideas?
10 of 17  -   Report This Post