CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

les40

24th March 2015, 17:59
Good day to you all.

Just letting you kind people who made a donation know that I completed the MonsterSki challenge in Chamonix in aid of the Multiple Sclerosis Trust.
Wow! harder than I thought, I was under the impression that it was to ski/board 30,000 feet per day in 'Length'. I was very much mistaken, it was 30,000 feet per day 'Elevation' for 3 days, so we had to descend the mountain from top to bottom 11 times in the day, which was fair game in the morning but got very tricky as the day went on with the lower slopes becoming quite slushy. But I managed it and your donations were very kindly received. I don't want to go on too much but I feel it needs mentioning that there were 3 people on the trip who are sufferers of MS. One lady from Herefordshire who couldn't walk 3 years ago, but her family funded her replacement stem-cell treatment abroad and she completed the challenge on skis. One man from London who had been with MS for 10 years and the same age as me (we became boarding buddies on the slopes) managed it too. Also, there was a 30 year old lad from Doncaster who needed a walking stick and wheelchair to get about, turned up with his 60 year old father, his father was there to carry his son's stuff in a rucksack and accompany the ski group, however, the lad, who had no feeling in his lower legs got on his snowboard and went past me at about 40 MPH. I thought he may have been 'swinging the lead' (just kidding) but apparently he'd been a snowboarder before he was diagnosed with MS and when he fitted his boots, they supported him up to the knee where he still had good control.
I was honoured to see such a display of sheer determination.
So, thanks again to all those that sponsored me on my VirginGiving Money page, you know who you are.

Les40
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

24th March 2015, 18:06
Well done Les. It must have been an emotional and uplifting experience. You are a star x
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

theambler

24th March 2015, 19:14
Well Bloody Done Les.
I am sure we all admire your guts and Getup Andgo.
And so inspiring to hear of those overcoming disability.
yours with a HIP HURRAH
Thea
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

rossim

24th March 2015, 19:44
Great news Les. I hope you've reached your target.
It must have been an amazing experience. Well done you.
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

rosalind

24th March 2015, 22:43
Wow Les, that sounds like very hard work indeed, well done. I've been wondering how you got on and pleased you've returned uninjured.
x
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

syzygy

25th March 2015, 03:51
Bravo, Les! And also to your boarding companions who are afflicted with MS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5691RGDUJ4

Looks like a blast ! Not clear on how they keep the cameras stable.

6 of 6  -   Report This Post