CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

20th March 2015, 22:27
3d. Conversation (8) - ?i?l?e?e

This is a real puzzle - according to all the onsite word solvers, there is only 1 word that fits this pattern (A Tunisian currency), so it looks like I've gone wrong somewhere, but everything else fits, so I'm stumped.
1 of 19  -   Report This Post

mattrom

20th March 2015, 22:29
Dialogue?
2 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th March 2015, 22:38
Hi Mattrom, that was one of the first words I thought of, but the first of the E's would have to be wrong and I don't think it is, it comes from:-

14a. Catastrophic conflict (10) - ?R?A???D?N which I think has to be ARMAGEDDON

I've tried to find alternative spellings to give me the G where the E is, but to no avail.

3 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th March 2015, 23:54
Just bumping this back up.

All the letters (In capitals), are from these Across clues:-

1a. Church office (8) - benef I ce

12a, Roll of parchment (6) - scrol L

14a. Catastrophic conflict (10) - armag E ddon

18a. Wailing spirit (7) - bansh E e

All these answers fit with the corresponding Down clues so it's difficult to see where I've gone wrong.
4 of 19  -   Report This Post

ginge

21st March 2015, 00:03
Hi brendan, I've seen harmagedon and harmageddon as alternative spellings the former with 10 letters would place the "g" where "dialogue" would fit but would obviously throw out the "r" & "a" ?
Since it's an easy puzzle might the setter have had an aberration and envisaged the more traditional spelling with a double "g" rather than double "d" if the above can't be incorporated ?
5 of 19  -   Report This Post

elle

21st March 2015, 00:13
It's hard to finds any other word to fit......I'm wondering (a long shot, and insulting(!) to the compiler of the crossword)... but maybe he / she cannot spell 'Armageddon'?
If he/ she thinks it's spelt with two gs and one d, then 'dialogue' would fit?
6 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2015, 00:13
Hi Ginge, I saw 'Harmageddon' in the online FreeDictionary, the problem is that the first letter of the clue for 16d is the 4th letter of the armAgeddon

Collection of pus (7) - ABSCESS

and this wouldn't work if it was HarMageddon.
7 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st March 2015, 00:15
Hi Elle, I think you may well be right - if we start from that standpoint then everything else falls into place.
8 of 19  -   Report This Post

elle

21st March 2015, 00:16
Sorry, ginge, I was called away half way through typing..... after I came back and finished ,I saw your reply that had come through in the interim........
9 of 19  -   Report This Post

elle

21st March 2015, 00:19
Hi, Brendan - I thought ginge had cracked it on first glancing thro his post, but that's not it either, is it?
So maybe it IS a spelling mistake?
Let us know the outcome when you get the result in the next edition of the paper!
10 of 19  -   Report This Post