CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gwladysstreet

19th March 2015, 11:52
This week's Cryptic Jumbo 1138 has,for 7dn, "Woman who's taken vows, say - she's let out all the same (11) The answer I have is NONETHELESS. I do not speak with RP. so am I the only one irritated by clues that rely on RP pronunciation?
1 of 26  -   Report This Post

malone

19th March 2015, 13:15
I'm not a fan of clues that rely on RP, but I didn't really see this as one - 'nun' is 'nun', surely? I f there are other ways of pronouncing the word, I've never heard them.
2 of 26  -   Report This Post

gwladysstreet

22nd March 2015, 10:08
"Nonetheless" - I could have chosen a better example had one presented itself in the crossword, however, to me,"None" rhymes with "gone", and "one", and not with "nun", "bun", or "gun", and so on.
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd March 2015, 10:24
Chambers gives 'nun' as the first pronunciation of 'none', with 'non' being second - you use the latter and I use the former! (I'm afraid I don't get/see/hear the 'one' = 'gone' bit.)
4 of 26  -   Report This Post

gwladysstreet

23rd March 2015, 19:52
I'm a northerner; that's how I pronounce those words.
My "none" rhymes with "gone" and "one."
If you can't get/see/hear that, nuff said.
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

elle

23rd March 2015, 19:55
I'm a Northerner too, Gwladys - although I no longer live there!
My pronunciation of those words echoes yours! (how else would you say them!)
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd March 2015, 19:59
I have heard "none" being pronounced to rhyme with "gone", but I don't think I have ever heard "one" pronounced that way - surely it's always "wun"?
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

chrise

23rd March 2015, 20:00
..........and I live in Lancashire!
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

elle

23rd March 2015, 20:33
Not where I was brought up in Lancashire, Chris! I'm with Gwladys on this 'one'!
9 of 26  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd March 2015, 20:43
Sorry, gwladysstreet (and any/all other northerners), but I really have never ever heard 'one' pronounced like 'gone' - but I'm quite happy to accept that this pronunciation exists.
10 of 26  -   Report This Post