CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

susan

14th March 2015, 14:47
Hello, can anyone help me with the parsing of 1d steal a famous actor's ornamental tree. I think it might be cabbage tree because of all the other letters I've already filled in. But why? All I can see is that it's a plant! Is it really obvious? Thanks in anticipation. (Perhaps some of my other answers are wrong!)
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

mamya

14th March 2015, 14:50
Steal - Cabbage (Slang)
Actor - Tree

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Beerbohm_Tree

Ornamental plant in the clue
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

susan

14th March 2015, 15:17
Hiya Mamya, I've never heard of him before (unless I have but now I've forgotten, which is worryingly possible). You really are a mine of information. Well done. I'll try to keep up, - use it or lose it! Thank you for enlightening me again! Bye for now.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

mamya

14th March 2015, 15:18
You're welcome Susan
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

torquinian

15th March 2015, 15:51
Herbert Beerbohm Tree 1853-1917
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

mamya

15th March 2015, 15:58
Think that's in my link Torq.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

torquinian

15th March 2015, 16:10
I don't read links!
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

mamya

15th March 2015, 16:35
save you reading it

Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree (17 December 1852 – 2 July 1917) was an English actor and theatre manager.

Tree began performing in the 1870s. By 1887, he was managing the Haymarket Theatre, winning praise for adventurous programming and lavish productions, and starring in many of its productions. In 1899, he helped fund the rebuilding, and became manager, of His Majesty's Theatre. Again, he promoted a mix of Shakespeare and classic plays with new works and adaptations of popular novels, giving them spectacular productions in this large house, and often playing leading roles. His wife, actress Helen Maud Holt, often played opposite him and assisted him with management of the theatres.

Although Tree was regarded as a versatile and skilled actor, particularly in character roles, by his later years, his technique was seen as mannered and old fashioned. He founded the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1904 and was knighted, for his contributions to theatre, in 1909. His famous family includes his siblings, explorer Julius Beerbohm, author Constance Beerbohm and half-brother caricaturist Max Beerbohm. His daughters were Viola, an actress, Felicity and Iris, a poet; and his illegitimate children included film director Carol Reed. A grandson was the actor Oliver Reed.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

magpie9

17th March 2015, 10:00
Thank you, Mamya. I was just about to ask!
9 of 9  -   Report This Post