CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

farr

5th February 2015, 16:12
16d Noisy game in bed (3) pi?
Once I have this I will have completed the grid with the help of my old Chambers (12th ed) but will have no idea of what the theme is. Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks
1 of 14  -   Report This Post

mamya

5th February 2015, 16:29
Pit

A slang word for bed and also a rowdy card game in which players bid for commodities.
2 of 14  -   Report This Post

farr

5th February 2015, 16:41
Thanks Mamya. I should have read deeper into Pit in Chambers.
Can you please enlighten me as to the theme.
3 of 14  -   Report This Post

mamya

5th February 2015, 16:54
I don't do the puzzle, sorry.
4 of 14  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

5th February 2015, 18:07
I've just started this Farr but I'm guessing that the theme is some obsolete words that have been removed from later editions of the dictionary. If that is the case I think it's a bit iffy as a theme but I have an even older edition (11th) that so far has all the words but I don't have the latest to compare it with. Maybe Doc is on commission from Chambers? I'm not serious but still....
5 of 14  -   Report This Post

farr

5th February 2015, 20:04
Hi teenieleek
I have the 12th and 13th editions. What I don't understand is why in the 12th edition the words which are to be included in the list of missing words (see other post) are printed with a grey background. Did the editors know then which words were not going to be in the next edition? I'm baffled but not to worry - I've finished the crossword and submitted it. Cheers
7 of 14  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

5th February 2015, 20:24
Thanks Terry. Would never have thought to look for a list of the missing ones. If they thought they were important enough to list online I wonder why didn't they just put them in the book.
8 of 14  -   Report This Post

greedy kite

5th February 2015, 21:00
If you want to know all about the background of these omissions, just enter "Chambers 13th Edition" in the search machine on this site & you can read the long correspondence on that subject
9 of 14  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

6th February 2015, 10:50
Greedy Kite, I tried that search and it said no posts could be found.
10 of 14  -   Report This Post