CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

nikki

1st February 2015, 22:14
Anyone else doing this? i have done one 'Playfair' puzzle before, and it took me four days!
I have completed the main crossword grid with little problem this afternoon...apart from three of the four italicised clues - the vital clues. And I do not look forward to tying my head in knots again for four days in trying to sort out the Playfair code grid.
From those doing the puzzle, any hints for the straight answers to 4a, 17a and 24 d would be appreciated.
Obviously, no crossing letters apply, but I can send the straight clues later for anyone not doing the Azed this week...
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

skaboo

1st February 2015, 22:28
Don't even know where the playfair puzzle is published or if I can be of any help but post the clues and we can all have a look.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

1st February 2015, 22:33
4a, 1 Penny PER held by a word for youngsters or small fish.

17a b-boxer is p-pug

24d fools are INEPT holding the usual abbreviation for College.

If you do not want to spend hours cracking the Playfair try the Quinapalus site:

http://www.quinapalus.com/playfair.html

3 of 12  -   Report This Post

rusty

1st February 2015, 22:34
Sorry, Nikki, it is way over my head!
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

1st February 2015, 22:35
This site is good for encoding/decoding once you have the keyword:

http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/playfair.php
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

nikki

1st February 2015, 22:47
Many, many thanks all. Have now got the words. Will tackle the 'Playfair' sometime tomorrow - had a very late Burns' Night last night!
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

martin

1st February 2015, 23:13
Can anybody help with 24a: "US flirt, touchy woodworker." The only thing I can think of is "carver", but I'm not convinced. It's an encoded word, so the letters which I have won't help at all.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

peterm

1st February 2015, 23:38
24ac is a triple definition. The most obvious one (to me anyway) is the "woodworker" one. The uncoded word starts with C but bit's not carver.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

martin

2nd February 2015, 07:52
Thank you. I'll think again.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

blueice

6th February 2015, 16:48
I've completed the grid apart from 1 letter in each of the italicised clues. I just cannot see the codeword, although I think it's something to do with pp which appears in each of the italicised clues before they are encoded. Can someone please put me out of my misery?
10 of 12  -   Report This Post