CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rosie

22nd January 2015, 12:35
Can anyone please help me to get started?

1d- Reasons Frodo met misshapen orc? ( 10 - two words)

The clue contains a superfluous word.
1 of 16  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd January 2015, 12:40
Sea Monster, orc - anagram of 'Reasons ' and 'Met'.
2 of 16  -   Report This Post

rosie

22nd January 2015, 12:40
Thanks again malone.
3 of 16  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd January 2015, 12:49
You're welcome. This crossword was tougher than usual, but a lot of fun.
4 of 16  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

22nd January 2015, 18:34
Hate to admit it but I'm stuck. Filled about two thirds of grid and got 4dn. Is 29ac relevant to the theme? Not sure about instruction re alphabetical order of answers as e.g. 1 and 4 work both across and down. Do I find an answer beginning with A then B etc and match the extra words? I am obviously having a "thick" day. Any hints gratefully received.
5 of 16  -   Report This Post

sudokulover

22nd January 2015, 19:26
29a normal clue

You need to list your clue answers in alphabetical order, with the extra word from that clue next to it. The 1st letters of the extras then spell out your 4downs. Even with a few blanks in the list you might be able to pick out one or the other of the 2 main phrases, then work backwards with the 1st letters of your extra words to get more clues filled in. The first clue in the alphabetical list is the answer to 36a and the last in the alphabetical list is 15a.
Hope I haven't confused you more! Ask again if you're still stuck
6 of 16  -   Report This Post

mathsman

22nd January 2015, 19:54
I think I have a suitable surname but I cannot locate a first name in a higher row. I have almost all the 33 clues' extra words; are each of the 4D in consecutive letters of the 33 or do we have to pick and mix? I read the missing 4D as being made up from the extra WORDS themselves, not their initial letters.
Please advise a slowly sinking old fellow.
7 of 16  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd January 2015, 20:02
The forename is not far from the surname.

The first phrase definitely comes from using the initial letters of the superfluous words - it all becomes much clearer if you list the answers alphabetically. I did all the 'a's, then 'b' and so on - then jotted down the initial letter of the extra word in the clue.
8 of 16  -   Report This Post

mathsman

22nd January 2015, 20:29
Thanks, Malone.

Obvious when you see it.
9 of 16  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

22nd January 2015, 20:44
Thank you Sudokulover, that's what I thought I would have to do, just seemed a bit complicated but it is a puzzle after all! A job for tomorrow. Death in Paradise awaits, not mentally taxing and the sun will be shining there unlike outside my window where the snow refuses to melt.
10 of 16  -   Report This Post