CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

wafflesown

20th January 2015, 12:20
Before I get into it, I'd like to stress that there are no rules against getting help, but, if you find it unethical, I will understand. It's a weekly, mail-in sort of thing, about 800 people participate on average, yet nobody's won in months and months, and I'm sure quite a number of those involved made it into a group project.

There is a small prize, which I could really use right about now. Not to start a pity party or anything. Also, it is my birthday. I know it seems like I am guilting, sorry. Only help, if you really want to.

I've done most, but.. these are the clinchers:

1 - Friends praise athlete after her feat, saying she beat the (blank), making her number one locally in the sport. BEST or REST?

2 - In a popular play, role of (blank) would probably not be given to a has-been. HERO or NERO?

3 - There may be something behind (blank) you cannot see. RISE or RUSE?

They are really tricky with the answers, often times both words seem very logical, so.. think about it.

If you don't wanna help, it is okay. Thanks anyway!

1 of 4  -   Report This Post

wafflesown

20th January 2015, 12:25
Oops, there's another I'm kind of on the fence about that I forgot to add.

Fans of driver express their dismay when his car, which is (blank), pulls over for repairs. LEADING or LEAKING?

I am thinking leading, because, if it were leaking, they'd likely be less dismayed, knowing that repairs are necessary. But, again, there's some sense to both selections, which is why no one has won in so long.
2 of 4  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

20th January 2015, 13:00
...a few thoughts -

1 . REST since it says local contest (best would more likely be national or international)

2. HERO since I can find a "popular" play with nero in .

3. RUSE scans better grammatically (a rise would seem more fitting)
3 of 4  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

20th January 2015, 13:04
btw I agree with LEADING - for the reason you gave .
4 of 4  -   Report This Post