CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

12th January 2015, 12:00
I think that someone should have a word with this setter about his concept of 'Asian' in this one - twice.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th January 2015, 12:20
I see no problem with either.
Oman is in southwest Asia and Saudi Arabia is in Western Asia
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

quixote

12th January 2015, 13:22
jazzgirl - I guess you're technically right - but it still doesn't feel right to me; I'm familiar with the old concept of 'Asia Minor', but what continent does a Lebanese or an Israeli live in? They're not Europeans or Africans, but 'Asian'...? (Levantine?)
I spent a lot of time in Oman from the mid-'70s to the '90s designing and installing metalwork for the Sultan around Muscat and Salalah, but never for a moment felt that we were in 'Asia' - I suppose my preference would be 'Middle Eastern'.
I still think 'Asian' is pretty sneaky in these two clues - but maybe 'OK-sneaky'.
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

quixote

12th January 2015, 13:22
jazzgirl - I guess you're technically right - but it still doesn't feel right to me; I'm familiar with the old concept of 'Asia Minor', but what continent does a Lebanese or an Israeli live in? They're not Europeans or Africans, but 'Asian'...? (Levantine?)
I spent a lot of time in Oman from the mid-'70s to the '90s designing and installing metalwork for the Sultan around Muscat and Salalah, but never for a moment felt that we were in 'Asia' - I suppose my preference would be 'Middle Eastern'.
I still think 'Asian' is pretty sneaky in these two clues - but maybe 'OK-sneaky'.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

quixote

12th January 2015, 13:23
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

quixote

12th January 2015, 13:33
Lor - sorry about the overkill - no idea how that happened - is there any mechanism for removing posts? i'm getting a barrage of horrible pop-up ads - every few seconds - while on this forum - is antone else suffering this? renaissance hotels etc - one crashed my computer
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrisg

12th January 2015, 13:41
If you are using IE try switching on ActiveX - go to the cog at the top right of the page, click on Safety, then ActiveX - this stops a lot of them...or you can download adblocker
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

12th January 2015, 13:43
That's cryptic clues for you.... designed to lead us astray.
Install AdBlock on your PC and this will avoid all the problems with the pop-ups that crash the computer.
There's no way of deleting multiple posts, but don't worry . It happens ro all of us occasionally :)
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

rusty

12th January 2015, 14:24
I was pestered with ads of all kinds on this sit;,
then I installed Adblock Plus.
I don't get any now.

I do on my Android phone, however.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post