CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cloverjo

11th January 2015, 19:47
Can anyone explain this answer, please?

4d Level up on mike (4). RA?E

I think it must be RAZE meaning to level (with the ground), but where does mike come into it?

Thanks
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th January 2015, 19:50
sounds like (on the mike) "raise"
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

orson

11th January 2015, 19:56
That's the only one I have been unable to solve.

I've got the victim and the fateful location but it seems to me a copy of the Oxford book (which I don't have) is necessary to find the surname of the commentator. I found the joke on the internet but it doesn't seem to be ascribed to any particular person.

I think the first sentence in the preamble would have been clearer if it had said "elsewhere in the grid" rather than "in the rest of the grid" which to me implies all of the rest of the grid is involved.
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

chrise

11th January 2015, 19:57
sorry - "raise" = "up" (as a verb)
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

11th January 2015, 20:02
Thanks, chrise.

Orson, I found it useful to use Amazon's Look Inside feature on the required book, and search for a relevant word.
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

orson

11th January 2015, 20:23
Thanks, cloverjo, got it. I didn't know Amazon let you look at the whole book. It was just the first few pages last time I tried.
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

ionexch

11th January 2015, 21:31
I didn't get it with Amazon but if you Google "Britain's best one liners" this also works
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

novice

12th January 2015, 13:27
For the life of me can't see the clued word which goes with the last three letters of the victim (which I presume starts L)

Help please!
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

12th January 2015, 13:51
Novice, I assume you've found the victim and the location. Where would the victim end up once she's done what the commentator mentions in the quotation?
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

novice

12th January 2015, 14:45
Hi Cloverjo

I must be being extremely dense today. I presume the last 3 letters are law?

You'd end up in the sea or on the ground?
10 of 20  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1157