CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

leapy

19th December 2014, 11:02
Is it just me or is the daily Guardian crossword getting so much harder???
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

shooty

19th December 2014, 11:35
Hi Leapy, I cannot comment on the Guardian as I don't attempt this one.
But as a regular Xword challenger who purchases at least three papers per day just for the crosswords alone, I have noticed an increase in difficulty.
To my dismay, I have to reach for the online Dictionary each day to look up some very peculiar words.
I appreciate that this is expanding my knowledge of unknown words and meanings to myself.
But I feel that if I cannot achieve the Xword without refering to the Dict, then where is my challenge ?
If I wanted to really spend time on the web searching these odd words, then I would raise the difficulty of my Xwords by trying the Mephesto or like.
So my message to any setters that I do believe look in on sites like this one is, BE REAL !!
We want to enjoy a challenge during our Tea break or when commuting on the tube without the use of the internet.
I have seen a big decline of use on this site and others, which I can only assume that some people can't even get started and give in.
There used to be an abundance of folk asking for one or two answers.
Are the setters promoting some form of encouragement for young people to get into crosswords by giving them such challenges.

I hope this is not interpreted as a rant, cus its not.
Just my views. : )
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

chrise

19th December 2014, 14:03
Today's was an odd one - I've seen someone describe it thus:
A French clue, Latin grammar, triple wordplay, an additive anagram and words that don’t exist, all in one grid!?

and:
This was a bit too much for me given the combination of a difficult theme, a grid with only 3 links between north and south, and some fairly wordy clues. No doubt it’s a fine puzzle, but the clues just didn’t suit me today.

(both from fifteensquared)
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

leapy

20th December 2014, 10:02
I am so glad it is not just me! What sort of a word is MOLISH and the definition in fifteen squared? Today's prize went straight in the bin! Please recommend a paper with a decent solvable crossword.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

claxbypluckacre

20th December 2014, 10:11
i, 30p weekdays with non-prize crossword, 40p Sat with prize crossword
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

rusty

20th December 2014, 10:21
The Times.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

trevor

20th December 2014, 12:17
i quite liked that one Leapy apart from having a french clue. i don't think i'll bother with todays tho - does it mean there won't be one next week?
if you want a downloadable one the FT do one 6 days a week (answered at 15 squared).
http://www.ft.com/life-arts/crossword
quite a range of difficulty depending on the setter i think.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post