CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

demeter

15th December 2014, 10:55
I understand the reference, and I see the cells to be highlighted, but I just can't work out which contiguous section to remove, and what the 'significant letter' left is. (The removals are clearly around the top of the grid, but they dont' seem to form a coherent shape).
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

15th December 2014, 11:01
Significant letter = first letter of composer's last name.

removed cells form a rectangle (except for leaving the one letter).

2 of 15  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

15th December 2014, 11:01
Hi Demeter

If you just scrub them out- all in first four rows there is only one cell left. There isnot a shape as such just remove one after the other- they all touch in one way or another.
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

demeter

15th December 2014, 11:44
Ah, thanks you two. I was overcomplicating matters.
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

escuan

15th December 2014, 16:57
Having deleted all the groups of letters I am left with a spare R (4th letter of 1 across) and there are two DEs, but I can only find one in the letters removed. So I have 3 letters not removed as well as the named person's 1st letter. I am puzzled as to the connection between the name revealed by the misprints and the rest of the theme. The person died 205 years ago so it can hardly be a centenary.
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

escuan

15th December 2014, 17:10
Ah - I've seen the two words of the "principal item"; still looking for the words identifying the separate portions of the grid. It makes no sense - how can you have words or letters in empty cells?
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

15th December 2014, 17:33
Escuan

There should only be one letter left so you may have missed some to be removed.

Look at the grid before you remove the letters and there is a word that is relevant. The other word is there after removals.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

rickye

16th December 2014, 17:59
I am getting grid blindness. Have got the work but also struggling with the other bit. Not sure if looking for geography or last two fiddlers. Actually answer to 10 across would help
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

rickye

16th December 2014, 18:01
Also I can make tassles at 5d but wonder if correct
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

16th December 2014, 19:04
t(err)ies
s(h+eerh)ulk; anagram of "here".
10 of 15  -   Report This Post