CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

8th December 2014, 14:48
Done by the early hours of today (Monday), and now tippexed and in the post, so I can look at this forum. All done entirely in my own head as usual - no cheats of any kind, and no lookups - tho I have to confess to a single retro-lookup in Chambers after I'd finished, to confirm the correctness of 1 answer - the one about the hair shirt - which I found I'd remembered right.
Worse intermix than usual of silly obvious trivial answers - most of the 4-letter ones - but a good lot of satisfyingly mystifying ones to crack. Spent most of Saturday getting ready for a fancy-dress party (Theme - Bowie - costume fully bandaged mummy-style as The Man Who Fell to Earth - bl**dy difficult to apply, and I cleaned out the entire crepe bandage stock of Boots and Superdrug in two towns - cost more than buying a spacesuit and cat head for Major Tom - but was the hit of the evening - and then cooking on Sunday - so feel quite pleased with myself cracking the Jumbo Sunday night.
I expect you've twigged that my mission is to get all you people to stop just asking for answers as soon as the going gets tough, and get your entry in by wrestling with what's in your own brain, and doing half-hour alphabet searches through multiple spaces in a single light; I enter this because I want to WIN, and I'm miffed that I'm competing with people who happily cheat - I'm essentially competing with an army of Mamya and Jazzgirl clones.
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

mamya

8th December 2014, 14:52
State your class as often and as flowery as you like - but keep my name out of it please.
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th December 2014, 15:19
Oh do shut up Quixotegf
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th December 2014, 15:20
the gf was a thpo
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th December 2014, 15:29
I don't enter my crosswords into any competitions, so there is no competition from me.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

susan

8th December 2014, 15:35
Quixote, it's been pointed out to you more than once that this is a help forum. If you don't need, or indeed want to offer, any kind of help, perhaps you'd be happier keeping away from a help forum. Just a thought. I don't come on the forum because I want to win anything. I just like crosswords - and I like people - and being friendly. I certainly don't consider myself to be a cheat! I'm gradually learning the different types of cryptic clues, thanks to people like Mamya, Jazzgirl and all the other helpers who share tips with me. I've learned loads since I found this forum and I really don't understand why you are so rude. If you want the world to see how brainy you are, apply for Brain of Britain and we'll be more than happy to follow your progress. RSVP.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

mamya

8th December 2014, 15:38
I am partially sighted/disabled and largely stuck in the house - a friend sends me the crosswords to save me having a large bill.

I haven't entered a puzzle by post for years.

It always amuses me that someone would join a site set up to help like minded people, will do nothing but complain or crow.

Folk get their kicks in weird ways though.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

8th December 2014, 15:42
Here is Quixote posting on this forum in 2012.
Much the same as now.........
http://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/259552/times-jumbo-cryptic-988
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

chrise

8th December 2014, 15:54
I do try to avoid giving actual answers if I know that the crossword is a Prize one - RT or Saturday Guardian, for instance. I am prepared to give hints instead, though.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

susan

8th December 2014, 16:56
Hiya Jazzgirl, thanks for old 2012 reference. Words like a brick wall banging my head against spring to mind! It's all been said before, squillions of times. I must try to avoid responding to daft threads - and thanks for continuing assistance!
10 of 11  -   Report This Post