CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ixion

1st December 2014, 21:33
Can anyone give me a bit more info about this? It seems the new edition has been printed with 500 words missing from the 12th Ed (I'm still on a bettered 11th). Was going to buy one but now swithering...

Attached review posted at Amazon.

As a keen Listener crossword solver, I buy a new copy of the Big Red Book every time it is released. The dictionary is still the best single-volume reference book available, and it's a must for crosswords and other word games, with a wide variety of obscure words that you won't find even in the (much larger) 2-volume Shorter Oxford. This edition restores the list of first names that were missing from the 12th edition, and removes the annoying supplement in the middle for "word lovers". However...

Due to a printing error, there are around 500 words missing from this edition that were in the 12th edition - they are the "enriching" words which were highlighted in that edition. They are still in the electronic versions of Chambers 13th edition available for computers and smartphones, but they aren't in this printed edition. Several people (myself included) have contacted Chambers to ask if this will be fixed - either by the publication of an errata slip or a reprinting, but no-one has yet had a reply.

Given the above, if you are still using the 12th edition, don't upgrade to this version yet - not until Chambers have had a chance to sort out the problem.
1 of 56  -   Report This Post

mamya

1st December 2014, 21:57
That is disappointing, as Christmas approaches I was about to start hinting - I may hang on now.
2 of 56  -   Report This Post

ixion

1st December 2014, 22:09
Particularly disappointing that Chambers would appear to be ignoring the issue.
3 of 56  -   Report This Post

ginge

2nd December 2014, 01:37
Cheers ixion, like yours, my 11th has seen many better days and I too was considering "upgrading" but I'll hang off for the moment. I'd (and I guess many others would) appreciate you posting the gist of Chambers' response should you receive one.
4 of 56  -   Report This Post

doglet

2nd December 2014, 08:30
thanks for the warning,I have just put in an order so cancelled it trust Chambers are going to recall them or something
5 of 56  -   Report This Post

peterm

2nd December 2014, 09:52
I don't know about missing words in the new Chambers, but may I give a plug to the Chambers app. I've got it on my phone and Nexus 7 and I think it's great. It's got pretty much all that the paper version has, is much more convenient and includes a word wizard and anagram finder. The clincher is that it's a fraction of the price, around £5 I think.
6 of 56  -   Report This Post

chrise

2nd December 2014, 09:56
This is free online:
http://www.chambers.co.uk/word-wizard.php
7 of 56  -   Report This Post

ixion

2nd December 2014, 11:09
This from Chambers on facebook....

"Hi Mark, the list of the missing words will be put up on this website (http://www.chambers.co.uk/) on the 8th December."

8 of 56  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th December 2014, 23:47
Les40 on another thread reminded me to update this....

after Chambers fessing up to the missing words and advising about the list to be put on their site, I asked them..
"Just a list? Not a printable addendum with definitions?"

To which the reply was...

"We will also be publishing a revised 13th Edition in 2015"
9 of 56  -   Report This Post

elle

6th December 2014, 00:08
I have one of these 13th editions with some of the words missing........no promises then to replace such editions with the emended version?
10 of 56  -   Report This Post