CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

scribbler

22nd November 2014, 11:42
Struggling with last one in; 7d "Setter lifting a couple of Hindu melodies" (4-4).

Assuming I've got 5a right as MIGRANT (and the other crossers) this leaves 7d as A - A - A - A -

RAGA and TALA are two forms of Hindu melody, but I can't see the parsing if these form the basis of the answer and also how the setter (Paul in this case) element fits in.

Any help greatly appreciated
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

rmleake

22nd November 2014, 11:44
Agar agar i believe is a setting agent. Raga is melody
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

scribbler

22nd November 2014, 11:55
Thanks very much for this; all makes sense now. I saw agar as a form of algae and hadn't gone on to twig that it's a setting agent

Cheers
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

23rd November 2014, 09:21
Sold it by the ounce for forty years in our health food shop in Manchester
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

23rd November 2014, 10:10
I'm going round in circles on the last couple. Any help would be a appreciated. 8d: SIT WITH CHIMP IN GARDEN UNDER THE ARBOUR, INITALLY. 4,1,3. I have t? k?/a/?e?. Or is that K an F and the defender at 10across plays further up field. Come to think of it where does the the raft come in.
Also 13down TREE HIGHER THAN ONE COVERED IN RUBBER, THAT'S LIGHTER.4-6. I HAVE -I-E -A-S-R. So there are lime trees and pine trees but nothing fits sensibly. Then there's "time passer" which fits the space but makes no sense. Grrr.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

chrisg

23rd November 2014, 10:17
13 fire raiser (lighter) - fir era I ser
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

stumped

23rd November 2014, 10:20
for 8d think of a church seat
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

dandybandy

23rd November 2014, 10:33
Doh! Thanks each.