CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

8th November 2014, 20:52
Help please parsing these...

16d. Very masculine Scotsman is not often seen (8) - UNCOMMON (Not often seen)

I thought 'Very masculine' might be MM, but that's about it.

27a. Having open exhibition initially, secure honours - or pass? (8) - OVERTAKE (Pass)

I thought this might be 'Open' = OVERT + E(xhibition), but that leaves AK for 'Honours' so I think I've gone wrong somewhere.

22a. Difficult old puzzle priest threatening not to complete (10) - ELIMINATOR

It looks like 'Priest' = ELI + 'Threatening' = MINATOR(y), but what is the definition?
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

magpie9

8th November 2014, 21:09
Ace king are honours in pack of cards.
I think unco is Scottish for very.
I assumed that an eliminator is a difficult old puzzle. I know the answer is correct as I have submitted.
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

brendan

8th November 2014, 23:42
Thanks Magpie, apparently the Ace and King are called 'Honours' in Bridge. I'm still in the dark about the complete parsing for UNCOMMON. you're right about UNCO meaning 'Very', but that still leaves MMON. Also, I can't find any sources online that can marry up 'Eliminator' with 'Difficult old puzzle'.
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

mamya

8th November 2014, 23:44
Very - Unco
Masculine -M
Scotsman - Mon
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th November 2014, 00:04
That's great, many thanks Mamya.
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

deslyxic

9th November 2014, 18:35
brendan, I presumed Eliminator as 'difficult old puzzle' referred to a type of crossword with a peculiar layout and some letters already inserted.
Have a look at some of Dean Mayer's archived ones at the bottom of this page: http://www.ukpuzzle.com/crosswords.htm

Do not attempt to solve any of them without ibuprofen.
6 of 6  -   Report This Post