CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jim

15th January 2009, 05:43
Clue is: "Join together, merge (5)"
E-I-E.
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

15th January 2009, 07:27
Good morning, Jim, you've made an early start! ELIDE.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

jim

15th January 2009, 10:29
Hi Caravaggio. Actually where I am it was early afternoon when I posted. It's early evening now. I thought of ELIDE, but it means delete or omit, not join. The obvious answer would be UNITE, but that doesn't square with 47 across ("general agreement") which has to be CONSENSUS. Any thoughts?
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

big dave

15th January 2009, 10:46
The answer is "elide"

It's one of those where it depends on which dictionary you use !!

Try AskOxford.com and you will get:

• verb 1 omit (a sound or syllable) when speaking. 2 join together; merge

Whether that makes it a good clue or not is, obviously, debatable. As most crossword puzzlers know, Chambers is the favourite reference for most compilers, and many definitions given in there are not to be found elsewhere.

4 of 7  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

15th January 2009, 11:16
Thank you Big Dave and Jim. Yes, it's a curious word isn't it? It appears to have contradictory meanings. I hope you're getting a tan wherever you are, Jim. There's no chance of getting one in the UK at the moment...
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

big dave

15th January 2009, 11:28
I think it only means "join together" in the context of joining two words or parts of words, for example "gonna" is joining "going" and "to" by elision, or omission.
Foreign students of English tend to know more about this than we do, because we have been used to the construct. I only learned about "phrasal verbs" from working with some Spanish people - I had never realised that they were a problem!!
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

jim

15th January 2009, 11:43
Thanks Dave and Caravaggio. ELIDE it is. Not much chance of a tan here in Thailand at the moment, Caravaggio. We're suffering the coldest weather in 60 years; a number of people have died from hypothermia. I'm sitting in my condo wearing a fleece even though the thermometer reads 22C.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post