CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pooksahib

10th February 2010, 05:18
Mornin' all.

Grumble about chop (4) = -R-B. I'm saying C=about which makes CR-B. Crab meaning crabby/grumpy? But Rab has nowt to do with chop. Rib does but then Crib has nowt to do with grumble. Of course, I could be on the wrong lines completely...

Many thanks.
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

10th February 2010, 08:12
Mornin' to you too, Pooksahib.

CRIB - British [dated] - grumble. You may be interested to know [and you may not be] this isn't a definition in Chambers but is in the OED. Guess who's got more than one dictionary?

Have a good day.

Caravaggio
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

ajt

10th February 2010, 08:17
I have always understood "crib" to mean to grumble, but I've just looked into Chambers and they don't give that meaning. Perhaps it's just a colloquilism. But for me - and perhaps the setter - to crib at something means you don't want to do it.
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

10th February 2010, 08:49
Mornin' AJT,

I was surprised not to find the definition in Chambers because I've always understood 'crib' to mean 'grumble' in this part of the world [Cheshire]. In my schooldays, it was, of course, used to mean 'to copy in a deceitful way' and probably you too are familiar with that use of the verb.

You have a good day too.

Caravaggio
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

ajt

10th February 2010, 08:55
..and the top of the morning to you too. I was born a Londoner, and in my long life th most common meaninng of the word in question was to grumble or to "jib" at something. Copy, yes, but a secondary meaning.

I suppose all of us who delight in xwords are precise as to the meaning of words - pernickety, if you like. And long may it continue to be so.
5 of 5  -   Report This Post