CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

2nd November 2014, 19:03
They're all saying over at the Answerbank how easy this is but it's been slow going for me. How about this one:

Shellfish I see stopping behind (7)
_ R T I_ _ _

Thanks
1 of 34  -   Report This Post

unclued

2nd November 2014, 19:11
Orson - have you realised that all across answers are reversed. 36 is key entry as you will soon find out. NATES = behind should help you. I think your R is wrong.
2 of 34  -   Report This Post

orson

2nd November 2014, 19:15
Thanks, unclued. I got the bit about the across answers. My R was wrong. I'm almost there with four more to solve.
3 of 34  -   Report This Post

rtxxx

3rd November 2014, 14:21
I must have got something wrong somewhere as with all the clues solved, including one where I see I am going to have to change the letters, I have only 11 omitted letters and when I put them in an anagram solver they don't make a 12 letter word. Please can you tell me how many omitted letters there are in the across clues and how many in the down?
4 of 34  -   Report This Post

barretter

3rd November 2014, 14:25
I'm still a bit puzzled by a couple of the answers in this one : for 33A I have an alternative word for "sesame" beginning with B but have no idea what the last letter is, or how the clue is worked out ; and for 32D I have an earth goddess starting with G but similarly don't really understand the clue. Nor have I sussed out the 12 letter word though I assume it is something like a synonym for "change" and 36A. Any help out there? Best wishes
5 of 34  -   Report This Post

gem94

3rd November 2014, 15:16
Barreter - On the basis that the less help you need, the more satisfaction you get, all I will say at this stage is that the fact that you are having trouble deciding on certain letters is part of the puzzle, and will sort itself out when you begin to see what the 12 letter word might me. You are not really on the right track in your assumption.
Rtxxx - likewise, the preamble refers to 'in row order' and should be taken at face value.
6 of 34  -   Report This Post

buzzb

3rd November 2014, 15:21
rtxxx: There are 9 across omitted letters and 3 down

baretter:
33a: The wordplay is a 3-letter tree plus a 1-letter equivalent for AND with the answer, as you suspect, being a 5-letter sesame.
32d: the wordplay consists of the chemical symbols with U (for all to see) elided. That provides three of the four letters.

I have a full grid and think I know which two letters to change, but all I see for the confirming word is a 5-letter word running down which does seem apt, but Chambers does not have a 4,8 definition for it. Hint please
7 of 34  -   Report This Post

turast

3rd November 2014, 16:07
Buzzb
If you have followed the instruction and changed the two letters, you end up with a possible VERB in 24Dn. Check Chambers for entry 2 and make it third person singular present tense.
8 of 34  -   Report This Post

barretter

3rd November 2014, 22:42
Well I have taken the "omitted" letters from the 12 appropriate clues in row order and they don't make any word known to me which is why I made my suggestion about "alter" (going by the first two letters) earlier. I must be doing something badly wrong.
9 of 34  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

3rd November 2014, 23:02
Barreter

For the missing letters there can be more than one choice. You have to pick the correct 12 to get the word

For example the dye in top row can give you an a or o
10 of 34  -   Report This Post