CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

greyshark

27th October 2014, 18:56
I'm trying to complete a old competition book from the 1990's called "Steeleye and the Lost Magic".

There's four cryptic clues, of which the answers are all gemstones.

The one I'm stuck on is:
"IN PART, GOLD ENCLOSES THE SECRET"

Could the answer just be "gold"? Hm.

Others I've solved are:
Spin bury around a bit, and you have a gem of a word (RUBY)
Rip shape to pieces for something you'll treasure (SAPPHIRE)
They call me Old Emma, but I say it sounds better backwards (EMERALD)
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

ixion

27th October 2014, 20:29
All I can see is g(iras)ol...could sari be part of the puzzle?
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

les40

27th October 2014, 22:15
Just a guess, it's not what you would class as a gemstone but certainly a compound of alluminium.

BAUXITE

In part - BITE
Gold - AU
Secret - X

B (au + X) ITE

3 of 9  -   Report This Post

greyshark

27th October 2014, 22:24
Thanks for your help, but these answers are too cryptic. The book is for children after all, so the clues aren't supposed to be difficult. I suspect that the answer is indeed "gold".
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

rossim

28th October 2014, 08:58
................but gold isn't a gemstone.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

28th October 2014, 09:04
bauxite is mainly aluminium oxide; ruby and sapphire are slightly impure forms of aluminium oxide too.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

rossim

28th October 2014, 09:17
I was trying to make garnet work. A bit less obscure.
I guess we will never know!
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

tealeaf

29th March 2016, 21:13
I know that this is ancient, but I just found this thread whilst looking for Steeleye and the Lost Magic clues! I just read it with one of my sons, and got to the end without having thought to note down any message!

I think that your problem was a combination of an assumption that the answers are gemstones, and the fact that it's a slightly odd clue in itself.

The other answers are: emerald, sapphire, ruby, and another that you missed, which is 'AMBER'. ("Reeling in bream gives a great pleasure.")

The full clue is: "In part, gold encloses the secret. A precious description of the creature is hiding here." It's also in the context of finding some "slabs of a rich, dull metal". When you clean away the tarnish, "it gleams in the sunlight".

So the hidden words aren't gemstones, they're descriptions of colours that point to the creature that knows the secret of the lost magic. Given that, the answer isn't "GOLD", it's "GOLDEN", from "GOLD ENcloses".

I suspect that the series of choices you make leads to a set of valid messages, each of which could have won the competition. You come across beings that give you a word, such as "cherishes"; armour that whispers "the lost, the lost, the lost" or "the old, the old, the old" etc.; and you pass one of a number of animals when entering the final castle. So I imagine that the 'message' will be of the form "The golden eagle cherishes the lost.", or something similar.

I hope this helps anyone else who stumbles across this wonderful little book, and I hope that you get this reply!
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

sallyw

29th March 2016, 23:36
http://gamebooks.org/show_series.php?id=422 it is available on Amazon from 1p for a used copy in good condition
9 of 9  -   Report This Post