CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bladerunner

24th October 2014, 00:52
The solving instructions say "One square must contain a beetle showing possible alternatives to one of the [answers]".

I am wondering what the word "beetle" refers to here - from the context it looks like it could be two letters in one space, resulting in two equally-valid answers. From the overall thread of the puzzle, there could well be a few words differing by just one letter.

Also, of course, of you have two letters in one square - especailly if the one is written on top of the other - it would look like a squashed beetle.

I have trawled various X-word sites, but cannot find this as a technical term. any offers ?
1 of 3  -   Report This Post

mamya

24th October 2014, 01:31
Not a crossword I do but have seen a clue, to look at the beginning of 41 across for a variant start to find the 'beetle'.
2 of 3  -   Report This Post

stumped

24th October 2014, 22:30
41A has two alternative spellings at the beginning of the word. To allow for both the setter has had to introduce 'beetle' as an additional clue (but think car!).
3 of 3  -   Report This Post