CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

duckb

22nd October 2014, 14:23
No-one else seems to be having any difficulty with 26a. I've got ?E?E?E for the clue "Patriotic American dream's no longer current". ? recede ...secede ... delete ...? Am I just missing the point, or have I got something wrong in the down clues for 11, 12 or 22?
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd October 2014, 14:24
(Paul) Revere

rever(i)e
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

duckb

22nd October 2014, 19:28
Thanks, jazzgirl. It was you who answered my very first query when I joined the forum, and you mostly have ever since. Sorry ,,, but just don't get this one. I'd only just about heard of Paul Revere (can you believe?!); and I still don't get the answer. How does the omission of "i" from reverie (=dream) relate to "no longer current"
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

elle

22nd October 2014, 19:34
The conventional symbol for current is I, which originates from the French phrase intensité de courant, or in English current intensity
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd October 2014, 19:34
In case jazzy isn't around any more, I is the symbol in physics for electrical current - often used in crosswords.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

duckb

22nd October 2014, 19:39
Thanks both. Obviously two areas of my ignorance (US history and physics) coincided on this one. Ah, well .... better luck next time.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

22nd October 2014, 19:47
I was busy in the kitchen duckb ;)
7 of 7  -   Report This Post