CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

hallgreening

24th September 2014, 14:29
I have just read The American, part of the Flashman series, by George Macdonald Fraser. I was impressed. Could a few of you recommend the best ,say three, Flashman books to me? I would be grateful....
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

rusty

24th September 2014, 17:49
It is years since I read them so it is difficult to suggest the best.
An idea would be to log on to Amazon and look at all the books there.
They have customers reviews on the books which may help you to form an opinion?
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

bees

24th September 2014, 18:03
Is hallgreening a suburb of Birminghaming?
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

hallgreening

24th September 2014, 19:38
Thanks rusty. Bee, it is in Birmingham where I lived for 44 years, until I moved 3 months ago to Hereford. Re the Flashman books, I know I can use Amazon, I just wondered if anyone could give me an opinion as to the best of them.I won't hold you to it!
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

hallgreening

24th September 2014, 19:39
Bee, it is Hall Green, famous only as the birthplace of Tony Hancock.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

rusty

24th September 2014, 20:51
Hallgreening,
The last one I can remember reading was,
Flashman and the Redskins. Very funny!
He ends up at the Battle of the Little Big Horn mixed up with Sitting Bull and General Custer.
Needless to say, he did not want to be there!
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

hallgreening

25th September 2014, 11:23
Thanks for that Rusty.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

lmj

26th September 2014, 01:01
Hi Hallgreening

Not just Tony Hancock. What about Hall Green dog track? Went there many years ago. I hail from Small Heath originally then moved to Sutton Coldfield. And I know around Yardley and Stechford and your neck of the woods. Hope you are having a lovely life in Hereford. Lovely area.

I live mostly in Spain now. At least for six months of the year.

Never read Flashman, must look it up.

Cheers

Lin
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

rh142

27th September 2014, 05:54
To Hallgreening

Think you're referring to Mr. American - a great read as are all GMF's books - though not really part of the Flashman series although the elderly Flashy does of course appear in it.
I would highly recommend you read all the Flashman books as well as everything else written by this brilliant story-teller.
If I had to recommend just 3 I'd go for:

1. Flashman - the first of the series which takes up Flashman's story from the point he is expelled from Rugby School (ie. as described in Tom Brown's Schooldays.)
2. Flash for Freedom - dealing with Flashy's experience of the slave trade.
3. Flashman and the Redskins - this follows on exactly from Flash for Freedom so should be read after it.

9 of 10  -   Report This Post

frameshift

27th September 2014, 10:42
For me the three best are:
1. Flashman and the Redskins
2. Flash for Freedom (precedes Flashman and the Redskins chronologically, so is best read before)
3. Flashman at the Charge
10 of 10  -   Report This Post