CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

16th September 2014, 12:33
Good afternoon! Sorry for being a bit late. Hope these few clues will entertain. Good solving! J

I set clues just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT + 1) to allow others to have a go.

1. Women taking present to what place? (5)

2. Ambassador can prepare this for a one-to-one oral examination (10,4)

3. Prepares the starting pistol and positions one to run (4,2,6)

4. Food for the first lady? (5,3)

5. Throws heartless parts of a meal into more than one sailor’s dish (10)
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th September 2014, 12:37
Afternoon jolan - hope you are both keeping well.

I saw #1 and possibly #4 at first look.

Dog-walking and gardening on the programme for this afternoon, but I'll try to look in again later.
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

jolan

16th September 2014, 13:14
Leading a dog's life Chris, eh? Enjopy the sun and the garden. Methinks I'll go outside and 'do a bit' also. J
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

16th September 2014, 14:23
Just getting to this, Jolan. I see 1, 4 (possibly), and 5 (no question about that one!), but am on the run and may not be able to post again.
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

ginge

16th September 2014, 14:25
Afternoon jolan, I trust you're well. I'm a bit busy today (decorating for a friend) so I've written them down for later when I can relax, as opposed to working,with a beer or two! Cheers.
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

chrise

16th September 2014, 16:59
Thanks jolan
Not much more progress I'm afraid. We seem to be a bit thin on the ground today - must be the good weather!

1. WHERE
W(oman) + HERE (present)

2. I tried to make this one "Headingly test", but failed!

4. APPLE PIE?
"First lady" being Eve; I'm note sure why "pie", though.

Look forward to seeing the answers.
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

16th September 2014, 17:00
Hi Jolan
Blimey there were a few toughies in this selection! Definitely at the harder end of a daily cryptic. Tough but fair I think- if I have got them right!
My suggestions are the following.
1. Women taking present to what place? (5) WHERE. W for women Here (present)- what place is defn.

2. Ambassador can prepare this for a one-to-one oral examination (10,4) CONSULTING ROOM. Consul (ambassador) Tin (can) Groom (prepare). One to one examination- defn

3. Prepares the starting pistol and positions one to run (4,2,6) PUTS IN CHARGE. As in loading a gun and putting a person in place to run an organisation.

4. Food for the first lady? (5,3) SPARE RIB. Eve was a ‘spare’ rib of Adam according to Genesis

5. Throws heartless parts of a meal into more than one sailor’s dish (10) LOBSCOUSES. Lobs (throws) Couses (courses missing middle S). Lobscouses are stews sailors used to eat.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

jolan

16th September 2014, 17:13
Jeepers Creepers!!!

Not for the first time (recently) I keep getting "page(s) unresponsive" message. ON THIS SITE ONLY.

I'm rushing before it happens again.

Hi also to Ar9i, ginge and dlaw.

Well DJ, a clean sweep once again. Many thanks to all. I haven't included my working fro a while so I'll just do it now, for your interest

1. w = women (Chambers); present = here; WHERE? = to what place? (Chambers def)

2. ambassador = consul; can = tin; prepare = groom; CONSULTING ROOM = (this) for a one-to-one oral examination

3. (double) PUTS IN CHARGE

4. (cryptic) SPARE RIB

5. throws = lobs; heartless parts of a meal = cou(R)ses = couses; LOBSCOUSES = more than one sailor’s dish. lobscouse = a sea dish (Chambers def)

Bless you all

J
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

jolan

16th September 2014, 17:15
Not Ar9i but Ari (ha, ha!) Of course, DJ, your parsing was spot-on and there was no need for mine.
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

16th September 2014, 17:41
hi Jolan
I am sorry I was unable to post due to problems with iPad and no access to my laptop until just now.
Having seen the solutions, I would have been only able to offer just #1
Excellent clues as always. jg
10 of 13  -   Report This Post