CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

icauser44

14th September 2014, 06:54
The train from NY to Boston leaves every hour on the hour. Likewise, the train from Boston to NY leaves every hour on the hour. The trip takes four and a half hours each. If you were on the train to boston, how many trains going to New York would you pass during one trip,
1 of 32  -   Report This Post

helpagain

14th September 2014, 07:00
None, trains don't overtake.
2 of 32  -   Report This Post

rosalind

14th September 2014, 09:25
Does "pass" always mean "overtake"?
If it means "go past" then 5??
Interested in the answer
PS. I have a train-driving son so I'll ask him what he'd mean by trains passing
3 of 32  -   Report This Post

elle

14th September 2014, 09:32
Four?

(I'm with Rosalind on this as I think it means pass on the way (going in opposite directions, not overtake)

Put us out of our misery, icauser , and tell us the answer!
4 of 32  -   Report This Post

icauser44

14th September 2014, 10:01
I dont know what you mean by "overtake"? The problem connotates that there are two railroad tracks parallel to each other and the two trains pass by each other
5 of 32  -   Report This Post

elle

14th September 2014, 10:10
We were just commenting on helpagain's answer...he assumed that the trains were going the same way.....not in opposite directions.......

but what is the correct answer, icauser?
6 of 32  -   Report This Post

icauser44

14th September 2014, 10:16
They couldn't be going in same direction b/c they are coming from two different cities and each is traveling to the opposite city. I dont know what the answer is. I know it sounds weird but I dont like to check the answers in the back unless I have an answer. how did u get answer of 5?
7 of 32  -   Report This Post

ginge

14th September 2014, 10:19
Hi Rosalind, think about it again. You're answer of "5" only considers the trains in the opposite direction leaving at the same time and after the one you are on but you will also pass some trains that left earlier. I'll leave it with you for now.
8 of 32  -   Report This Post

elle

14th September 2014, 10:21
I got 4 . I used a pencil and paper and worked it out by taking it (the train) from each end!
Try it yourself and see what you work it out to be.

(could be wrong tho, as Rosalind came up with 5)
9 of 32  -   Report This Post

elle

14th September 2014, 10:30
Drat it...you're right, of course, ginge - hadn't considered earlier trains......
10 of 32  -   Report This Post