CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pooksahib

13th September 2014, 11:43
Hi. A brief digression from crosswords - I've a quiz here where the answers are sweets eg 'these pants begin with S = smarties'.

Two to do:

'All the bright sparks'. So it's not Smarties. I can only think of Spangles but am not entirely happy with that. Also:

'These centres sound good for slimming'. Any ideas?

My thanks.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

13th September 2014, 12:03
hi pooksahib , from the example you give Spangles is just as good an answer as Smarties was for that one . Given that how about polo mints for the other clue - although I don't see a homophone .
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

13th September 2014, 15:19
Yes, these were my thoughts too.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

lmj

14th September 2014, 01:20
How about malteasers (mall = centers)? Not sure about the teaser part though!

Lin
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

14th September 2014, 05:53
Good thinking, Lin. Maltesers isn't an existing answer but, like you, I can't fully work it out...
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

chrisg

14th September 2014, 06:19
The only parsing of maltesers I can think of is that they used to advertise them as having "less fattening centres" but that is not exactly a cryptic clue !
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

14th September 2014, 10:18
It's not meant to be a truly cryptic quiz, though. I didn't know that slogan but it's good enough for me to go with that answer. Thanks.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

lmj

14th September 2014, 23:57
Did you get the answer? Chrise is very good at solving these clues. To be honest I am rubbish. But I have heard of the slogan Chrise mentioned. And sorry spelt Maltesers wrong!

Cheers Lin
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

chrisg

15th September 2014, 05:57
lmj - last time I looked I was chrisg rather than chrise!
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

15th September 2014, 11:03
Hi Lin. It's a church fundraiser one of my relatives had - not too likely that I'll get the answer list but I'll not lose sleep over it...
10 of 10  -   Report This Post