CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

carpox1

8th September 2014, 17:22
I have a full grid. I know the name of the author and the title of the novel (although two letters short, but I believe that may become corrected as a wrap). I have the two instructions and the further information. I take it that the second word of the first instruction (hereafter '2nd') is that of the conceptual volume of the work (and so also of the thematic character). But I don't see how the further information leads to a unique form of the 2nd or its place or orientation. I can see a sort of dark screen and press flats, but this isn't helping at the moment - so I should be most grateful for any hints or help of any kind.
1 of 32  -   Report This Post

nick

8th September 2014, 17:34
Your belief is correct, Carpox1, and I found it a bit hard to understand from the preamble. You need to understand what the first word of the title means in context if you don't already, check in Chambers.
2 of 32  -   Report This Post

annie44

8th September 2014, 17:39
I am in virtually the same (frustrating) position. Surely with so much done we can't be far from a final pdm. I'm taking the second word in the sense of flattening a 3d figure as I assume you are, but can't see how that can provide 8 faces. Or its location. Or how the final letters can be created. Have also found DARK SCREEN and PRESS FLATS. Annoying, sorry. All I am doing is thinking 'aloud', not helping and not getting anywhere.
3 of 32  -   Report This Post

nick

8th September 2014, 17:45
Your are quite right annie44, but there are eight faces on the thematic shape when flattened.
4 of 32  -   Report This Post

annie44

8th September 2014, 18:14
Ok, will have to think about that, thank you.
5 of 32  -   Report This Post

highlighter

8th September 2014, 18:22
Hi Nick ,

Am I right in thinking that the area of the conceptual volume is made up of squares containing the partial title and author?

Thanks,
6 of 32  -   Report This Post

carpox1

8th September 2014, 18:23
Yes, the flattened volume has eight faces, but I don't think that the further information gives a unique solution - and I don't see how the dark screen and press flats helps with placing the faces. Perhaps I'm missing the significance of the word 'upstanding'...
7 of 32  -   Report This Post

carpox1

8th September 2014, 18:29
Belated thanks to nick for the confirmation.
8 of 32  -   Report This Post

tandethsquire

8th September 2014, 18:30
I've an entirely different problem: have found the required faces and technically have a completed puzzle, but have no idea how one obtains the instructions I was meant to follow! Very vexed...
9 of 32  -   Report This Post

highlighter

8th September 2014, 18:33
Hi Tandethsquire,

Consider the extra words from the clues along with the phrase 'Solvers must follow the thematic character to reveal two instructions...' from the preamble
10 of 32  -   Report This Post