CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jolan

2nd September 2014, 12:09
Hi Friends. Hope the Summer went well and that you are all in good health. We're doing OK at chez Jolan and enjoyed a peaceful break. Difficult to get back to composition but hopefully will keep my ever-ageing brain cells moving, however sluggishly. Enjoy! J.

I set clues just for pleasure. I wonder if some of you excellent regulars would like to try a few? Since they're new, no letters!

Please withhold solutions till 5 pm (GMT + 1) to allow others to have a go.

1. Mythical sea monster described as a large beast by the academic world (11)

2. Burn our original locations in action (9)

3. Curling tongs not found in a gents gathering-room abroad (3,7,4)

4. Long-term con involving retired copper and an early Venus (7)

5. Corresponding with banks may give you some exercise (8,4)
1 of 29  -   Report This Post

ginge

2nd September 2014, 12:18
Hi jolan, hope you and yours had a great break.
It's either a sign of me being a very sad b?????? or your weekly offering being of such a high standard that it's virtually unmissable (certainly the latter but most likely both) that I diaried  today. Tuesdays have now returned to normality, cheers.
I only see #4 on reading but look forward to tussling with the others.
2 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd September 2014, 12:43
Lovely to see you Jolan.
I am in the middle of cutting a certain unmentionable hedge (!) but have printed off your clues for later.
Best wishes Jg x
3 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd September 2014, 12:58
I have #3 :)
4 of 29  -   Report This Post

rosalind

2nd September 2014, 13:05
Jazzy, do you really have a L.......I hedge??
Lovely to see you back Jolan. Everyone's brain is aging! I just turned off the damsons (for jam) when I went shopping, except I'd turned the heat to Max. Luckily I went back to collect something.........
Printed off the clues to look at over lunch.
PS Seen on shopping bag this morning-
You cannot sleep, think or love well unless you have also dined well.
I guess you agree
xR
5 of 29  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

2nd September 2014, 13:09
yes Ros a L*******i (!). Time for the Autumn cut to keep it at 6ft.
6 of 29  -   Report This Post

jolan

2nd September 2014, 13:27
How nice to see you three, ginge, Ros and Jazzy. Thanks for the welcome back. What a stroke of luck about the damsons, Ros. What a mess that would have been.

Thanks to both you ladies for ruining my day. I've just looked out the window at MY L......i hedging (front and back of house) and see the need to get out there before they become unmanageable (they already look like that). See you later.
7 of 29  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

2nd September 2014, 13:33
Welcome back, Jolan! I'll try to get to these, but I'm having a horrible time with the site (first time I've been able to get on this morning). I've got houseguests and have to make a run to the train station in a while, but hope to be back before closing time- though I probably won't be able to post!
8 of 29  -   Report This Post

jolan

2nd September 2014, 13:35
PS. Ginge. What a joy to find you enjoy my thread so much. I'm sure it's very difficult to solve clues with no letters given. I certainly would find great difficulty doing it. Just shows the standard of the regular members. I remember, years ago, when there would be quite a few "zero replies" for a long period. Nowadays, queries are answered within minutes. What skill!
9 of 29  -   Report This Post

jolan

2nd September 2014, 13:37
Hello Ari. Great to 'see' you also. Still having problems with the site? Gracious!
Have you tried setting it up on a friend's computer in the locality, just to see if the same difficulty is experienced?
10 of 29  -   Report This Post