CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bob

31st January 2010, 20:05
Stuck again this week. I have 1D as Estrepe ( Destroy trees, case of pillage?) but I do not think it is right as it confuses other clues. 1A Old soccer star on champagne starts to drop off in bar. (5) would perhaps helps as would 5A where I have ??pass? (Girl bags exam success in part or Art and Design (7) A kickstart would reduce my frustration and thanks in advance.
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

31st January 2010, 20:10
5A is probably AMPASSY meaning "and".

How does that affect the others?
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

bob

31st January 2010, 20:17
THANKS JOHN. HAVE NOT LOOKED AT OTHERS YET BUT WILL DO NOW. AMPASSY IS A NEW WORD TO ME SO WILL DIVE IN TO CHAMBERS AND EDUCATE MYSELF.
THANKS AGAIN FOR NOW
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

alan

31st January 2010, 21:40
Hi Bob,

I agree with ESTREPE and AMPASSY (love the clue for 5a!). For 1a I have ESTOP (=BAR) but I would love some enlightenment on this. For 5d I have ALGARROBAS (gar rob in alas, where gar is the fish and 'bone' is slang for rob - another interesting clue).

Only about half complete so far - too much sport (couching variety) today ! Haven't heard from Jerry for a while...

Regards,
Alan
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

alan

31st January 2010, 23:09
I eventually twigged 1a !

Old soccer star = Best; Champagne = Pop
Dropping off their 'starts' (B and P) gives estop.

Alan
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

ajt

31st January 2010, 23:16
The old soccer star is not Best. Try another
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

ajt

1st February 2010, 00:03
I'm sorry - I was referring to the second "old soccer star". I hope you ignored me.
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

alan

1st February 2010, 00:17
Hi AJT,

I'm intrigued ! If the solution is ESTOP, then Georgie seems to do the job perfectly, as he usually did !

Another old soccer star with a name ending in EST - well, there was West (Gordon) who might be remembered (between the sticks) by some... A less than stellar star though !

I like the use of yet another old soccer star in 30a too.
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

bob

1st February 2010, 09:37
Thanks many helpers!!! I now see that ESTREPE WAS correct although I have not worked out the word play. I might have got 1A if clue had said "dead soccer player" instead on "old soccer player"!!!! I kept thinkning of Pele!!! Stupid boy. Thanks again! Back to the grindstone!!!
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

ajt

1st February 2010, 10:58
The wordplay for estrepe is as Bob said earlier - an anagram of trees and " case of pillage" i.e. p and e
10 of 20  -   Report This Post