CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

23rd August 2014, 22:08
I'm a bit confused by some of the definitions here, so any help most welcome....

1a. Swell Green politician wearing gown (10) - DECOMPRESS?

It looks like 'Green politician' = ECO MP 'wearing' DRESS (Gown) but I can't find any references that give Swell and Decompress as synonyms.

8a. Running rock festival's last thing female wanted (4) - LAVA (Running Rock) fits the def., but if the L is from (festiva)L, then why is AVA ''thing female wanted'? - or is it wrong?

26a. Pole - ladies' man (4) - SLAV

If 'Pole' = S + 'Ladies' = LAV, then the def. would be 'Man' but any reference I look up on line gives it a 'race of people' - what am I missing?
1 of 26  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

23rd August 2014, 22:27
See paragraph 3:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavs
2 of 26  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

23rd August 2014, 22:29
Sorry Brendan, misunderstood
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd August 2014, 22:31
Hi Scorpiojo, thanks for that, I'm still confused though. I did look up Slavs and saw the ref to Poles, but then if that's the def., then where does the S come from and what is 'Man' doing there?
4 of 26  -   Report This Post

nikki

23rd August 2014, 22:39
6a L = 'festival's last thing' + Ava (female name).
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

busby

23rd August 2014, 22:43
26a Pole = S ladies = LAV(atory) ?
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd August 2014, 23:12
Hi Nikki, thanks for that. I did consider it might be a name but was really hoping it wasn't and that I'd overlooked a gem of a parse. I think it's a real cop out by the setter because, theoretically any collection of random letters can be a name, especially these days with Z list celebs. calling the children any old thing. But there you go - rant over.

Hi Busby, I'm more interested in the definition, I've already parsed the clue in my original question.
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

elle

23rd August 2014, 23:56
Re 1A: Chambers gives 'decompress' as "to expand (compressed computer data) to its original size" = swell for definition
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

elle

24th August 2014, 00:00
26A: man = mankind = the human race (a human people)
9 of 26  -   Report This Post

elle

24th August 2014, 00:06
Please ignore last post re 'man' - didn't read your question properly!
10 of 26  -   Report This Post