CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

guardianista

12th August 2014, 08:32
Hi folks, I was having a conversation yesterday, and composed this clue. I would be grateful if you would have a bash at it, and tell me if it is fair, and if you think it hard or easy. Thank you.
Hack appalled, loses quiet light, and takes turn to find girl (5)
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

malone

12th August 2014, 08:44
I found this quite easy - I think the 'takes turn' is too much of a signpost! I didn't see/understand what 'light' was doing in the clue.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

guardianista

12th August 2014, 12:43
I did not understand your reply. Then I guessed that you might have got the answer "DELLA" Which is not the answer I was clueing, but of course it DOES fit the clue perfectly, except, as you say for the 'light', which is important!
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

rossim

12th August 2014, 12:52
Paula - the light being LED?
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

guardianista

12th August 2014, 13:03
Correct, Rossim, WP! Is it fair? Not too hard?
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

elle

12th August 2014, 13:10
I came to the same conclusion as rossim.......

Strike the P (quiet) and LED (light) from 'APPAL', giving the remaining letters APAL + U (turn)= PAULA?
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

elle

12th August 2014, 13:13
sorry, typo, form 'appalled'! trying to work round the cat!
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

12th August 2014, 13:17
My "lower-case only" posts generally occur when the cat is helping me too, elle.

Nice clue, guardinista. Just a slight pity that it nearly (but not quite, as you point out) gives DELLA as well
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

chrise

12th August 2014, 13:48
btw there are several ways to get involved with clue-writing here. There are three weekly competitions (Clueless set on Tuesday, Peer Review, set on Thursday, and Weekend peer review, set on Friday or Saturday); Clue Chain may re-appear on Monday afternoons during the winter months. Also les40 produces a "Joint effort" crossword - new clue-writers would be welcome, I'm sure.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post