CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pooksahib

30th January 2010, 22:36
There's two I'm struggling with...

They have to stay in to take delivery (7) ---S-E-.

Dubious Tory about Conservative being accepted brought applause (5) -C---.

Many thanks.
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

30th January 2010, 22:41
Hi Pooksahib,

The first one is ; I'm still working on t'other!

Regards,

Caravaggio
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

30th January 2010, 22:42
The word bastsmen should have appeared! Very strange...
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

30th January 2010, 23:15
Sorry, Pooksahib, the second of the two clues has me stumped [sorry about the cricket analogy] too but the first is definitely batsmen!
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

rosecart

31st January 2010, 06:38
Could it be 'actor'? Well, it does say 'dubious'
Tory.
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

31st January 2010, 07:19
Hi both - I suspected there was a sporting link to the first clue but the Scottish brain isn't attuned to thinking about cricket...

I'll give you the answer to the second clue on Friday but, given my local paper's history of duff clues/misprints, be prepared to groan.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

31st January 2010, 07:24
Got it. Putting in Batsmen gives -C-A- for the second clue. 'Tory' (and they did give it a capital T) should read 'story'! I'll leave you the pleasure of working it out. I must away now and pen a stiff one to the Ed...
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

caravaggio

31st January 2010, 09:33
Hi Pooksahib,

Do you know I wondered whether it was a misprint! Just to prove it, if 'story' became 'tale' are we now looking at 'eclat' as the answer? Because if that's case, would you kindly incorporate some caustic comments from me in your missive to the editor!

Regards,

Caravaggio
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

pooksahib

31st January 2010, 13:38
Yep, I opted for eclat as well. I'll give the Ed one more chance - it's actually been a good while since the last screw up.
9 of 9  -   Report This Post