CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

livs

4th August 2014, 08:04
The Genius is out. I've got it by the old standby method. For anyone who's new to this...

go to Guardian w/s
sign in
find Genius crossword
go to Print version
add '1' to URL... and the crossword magically appears
print it out
be baffled
1 of 58  -   Report This Post

dizoz

4th August 2014, 09:10
hi livs, done all that--- up to "be baffled"
working on a few "angles"
dizoz
2 of 58  -   Report This Post

livs

4th August 2014, 10:55
Hey dizoz, how's it going?

I thought I'd got the lower diagonal half (southeast) done, but one of my words is the wrong definition and nothing relevant seems to fit with the crossing solutions.

I also think I may have spotted the characters & author, but that's a bit dodgy, too.
3 of 58  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th August 2014, 11:31
Some nice clues in this, a bit trickier than normal...there is actually eight "normal" clues not seven as stated in the Special Instructions.
4 of 58  -   Report This Post

livs

4th August 2014, 12:58
ixion, it sounds like you've finished, so can you tell me if I've got the right letters in 15D, please?
-U---P-I-

I thought it was an anagram of 'euphoric' for 'passionate', plus 1 letter; but I can't parse the rest of the clue.

Originally I also had a C as the 4th, i.e.
-U-C-P-I-
but I wasn't sure about my answer for 20A as it makes the clue rude enough to be one of Paul's. Does it have a P added to it?

Am stuck for the moment, about half done.
5 of 58  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th August 2014, 13:27
Livs..your letters in place are correct as is 20A and it is a P...I think you'll appreciate 15D when the penny drops (2 letters need to be added to this one)
6 of 58  -   Report This Post

ixion

4th August 2014, 13:29
ps Chambers defines the 4 letter word as "issue" in a non smutty sense also
7 of 58  -   Report This Post

pendragon

4th August 2014, 15:56
I would agree with there being eight "normal" clues
8 of 58  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

4th August 2014, 16:35
I also have eight normal ones but at first included 21ac - sneaky one, until I worked backwards.
9 of 58  -   Report This Post

cmk

4th August 2014, 16:59
Ah, yes. I'd included 21 across too, but it's not is it? Very sneaky.

Quite enjoyed this after the horrors of last month, in which one very slight error threw out the whole crossword for me and left me ragged.
10 of 58  -   Report This Post