CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aquestion

30th July 2014, 15:56
Have about 3/4 of the grid filled, but am no closer to enlightenment...could anyone give any hints for 6,7,18 and 22 down to give me a shove? Many thanks
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

orson

30th July 2014, 16:55
I cannot figure out the word play in some clues but...

7d what does a camera have?
6d eh? I don't understand
18d Mac is Scottish for son of, reverse it to begin with
22d a ton

I cannot find a word to fit 11d. It should be POURSEWED (followed) but Spenser does not use that word.
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

30th July 2014, 16:56
6 e(hoe)d, o extra, eh'ed
7 lent sed, t extra, lensed
18 mac reversed, ana c hid, i extra, camanachd
22 centry holding UT, t extra, century
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

kilgore trout

30th July 2014, 16:57
chambers gives POURSEW as Spenserian for pursue.
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

31st July 2014, 15:45
What a struggle ! Have almost a complete grid but the extra letters not making much sense i'm afraid. Can anyone please confirm these :
UNCHECKEDBO?HN?IST?M?SFLOT?VS?LIRT?BL?R
Any hints gratefully accepted.
Thanks!
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

puzzled272

31st July 2014, 16:11
UNCHECKEDBO are correct, H&N are wrong, IS is correct; the remainder seem correct and do look like a random sequence, just find the correct place in the border to start filling the gaps.
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

31st July 2014, 20:48
Thanks puzzled272. Still not making any sense of the letters though. I'll carry on struggling until PDM if it ever happens !
Cheers .
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

puzzled272

1st August 2014, 12:15
Uncle_w, in isolation you will only make sense of UNCHECKED BO???? IS (you should be able to guess the second word here) the remaining letters must be injected in the gaps between the overhangs you should have in the grid. Note: your sequence ?BLAR give you 5 of the 9 letters of the author's name (in order) , this includes 2 initials, the other 4 are overhangs

If you're still stuck try guessing the 5 words (28 cells); you should notice one fairly long word in the bottom line which goes naturally with a normal entry (another of the 5 words is also a normal entry). Google the 5 words plus "quotation" and the quote should appear. Good luck!
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

uncle_w

1st August 2014, 22:31
Thanks again puzzled272 . Have now got author and quotation. Also the 5 words to highlight.
Cheers !
9 of 9  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1133