CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

don

28th January 2010, 17:44
Afternoon all. So, has anyone ever been selected as the winner in a newspaper/ periodical crossword competition? I have been merrily sending in entries to the DT/ST for years and not a sniff. With the money I've spent on stamps I could have bought several of their damned pens. So, since there ara a fair few of you out there and most of you know your way around a cryptic crossword I thought I'd do a bit of research. I have never personally spoken to anyone who has ever won a comp of any description never mind a crossword comp.
1 of 22  -   Report This Post

ajt

28th January 2010, 17:54
We Had a discussion on this topic on a thread a couple of weeks ago. Speaking just personally, I have been quite lucky - but I must say, over many years. Strangely enough, today I banked 2 £20 cheques which were Mephisto prizes with 4 weeks in between. And last year at some point I won in 2 consecutive weeks - I thought at first they'd made a mistake, but no, it was true. The biggest prize I've ever won was a washing machine in a magazine a long time ago. Many smaller prizes - cash and books, etc. My son gets very annoyed, because he sends in the same entries, and has never won a thing. It's just a question of luck - so keep trying, and good luck.
2 of 22  -   Report This Post

don

28th January 2010, 18:09
Bugger. And there's me thinking it's all a con. I had visions of some boney fingered little bloke peeling the stamps off the envelopes and chucking the rest in the bin. Well, all I can say to you AJT is congrats and keep up the good work.
3 of 22  -   Report This Post

ajt

28th January 2010, 18:15
By way of a PS - I know a lot of people send their entries in brightly coloured envelopes, perhaps drawing all over them,to get attention. I've only ever sent a normal white envelope, with the address in printed capitals. I forgot to mention the ST Cross pens - I had such a run of those some years ago that I was using them as Xmas presents. Alas, I've never won the lottery!
4 of 22  -   Report This Post

diana

28th January 2010, 19:00
Hi, I won a second prize last year----
Sunday Times--- a pen.
The big prizes are in magazines like Take a Break----Very very easy,so more people enter and therefore less chance of winning. Will still carry on regardless !
5 of 22  -   Report This Post

mags

28th January 2010, 23:02
I have been doing the Sunday Express General Knowledge crossword for approx 10 years and last month I won the £1,000 prize. During the same month I won the £100 Skeleton Crossword and I also received a £25. Cheque from the Sunday Mail YOU magazine. So yes, someone does win. A lucky December for me!!!!!
6 of 22  -   Report This Post

juliasal

28th January 2010, 23:07
if its ordinary comp winners you haven't come into contact with, maybe i can tell you of a lady who has won a car, holiday, and £1,000 Debenhams vouchers and £1,000 Argos vouchers and just about something for every room in the house. The type of comps I used to enter have disappeared now but last year I entered for the first time a 'text' comp on the friday, and on the monday was told i had won a gas barbecue! Now that was quick! Yes it is me. My daughter 'capped' me by winning no less than 14 holidays over the years before it all changed to internet comping.
7 of 22  -   Report This Post

barb

28th January 2010, 23:28
I won loads of slogan comps in the past. W/e in New York, Orient express, Paris,etc etc. It's all lucky dips and internet comps now. No skill needed.

ST silver pen once. Still keep trying for a biro.
8 of 22  -   Report This Post

ajh

29th January 2010, 01:27
I have been entering crossword puzzles for about 30 odd years-I won the New Statesman (a £5 book token) a few times when that was all I was entering -The Independent-a Mont Blanc pen at the first attempt and The DT when (after years of trying I put my friends name as he had done one question and did not think we had a chance ) -so I did not even get my name printed.Nothing for the last 15 years even though i do about 7-8 a week.
9 of 22  -   Report This Post

bees

29th January 2010, 10:31
I've won a few small prizes on competitions, but never anything for a crossword.
10 of 22  -   Report This Post