CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

orson

23rd July 2014, 15:14
Once again, EV leaves the Listener and Inquisitor a long way behind in terms of difficulty. I've managed to solve three clues after three days with only a vague idea of where they go. Getting the early ones would help to get the two unknown contestants so how about these? (In each case there is a redundant word).

9a Leader of operational authority mixing noxious gas capsules (7)

2d Mainland's steelyard monopolizing 75% of state's capital (6)

Thanks for any hints.
1 of 6  -   Report This Post

orson

23rd July 2014, 19:01
Answering my own question, 2d is BISMAR(CK). I've got the two thematic players so maybe I'll get somewhere now!
2 of 6  -   Report This Post

finn

23rd July 2014, 19:53
You may already have 9a by now but it's the first letter of operational plus a four letter word for authority plus a noxious gas used in riots, two letters.
I have the grid filled, and am trying to make sense of the instruction.
Agree about the level of difficulty; it has already occupied more time than the Listener and Inquisitor combined.
3 of 6  -   Report This Post

orson

24th July 2014, 14:17
You're ahead of me, finn, but I'm getting there and then I'll see if can work that one out. Thanks for the help.
4 of 6  -   Report This Post

orson

24th July 2014, 20:28
Finished! Finn - what you have left is a big square. Divide the grid likewise.
5 of 6  -   Report This Post

finn

25th July 2014, 09:01
Very well done Orson.
So it's what it looks like. I dismissed the idea at first as I convinced myself that the word "rematch" meant a two player game.
Still unable to follow the moving instructions, or make the last twelve letters of the rules align in some way, but will look afresh.
Thanks.
6 of 6  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1132