CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

terry

26th January 2010, 17:17
Cleo,
A big majority of the traffic on a site like this is always going to be straight questions/answers. It is unrealistic to expect anything else.

If people want a clue rather than the answer they should say so. Of course some bozo will probably post the answer anyway. On the other hand I have seen clues (to a particular question) become so obvious that a dead cat could solve them,but not apparently the person who asked.

This site is far more \"alive\" than AB. There is a healthy exchange of snide remarks, filthy innuendos and downright personal insults. One member recently went to great lengths to teach some of the technical morons on here how to use something called html. Another is happily combing the net thingy and subjecting us all to an endless stream so-called jokes. What\'s the problem.

11 of 19  -   Report This Post

trevor

26th January 2010, 17:33
thanks for that Cleo
I'm afraid I am one of those well intentioned people who merrily supply answers(like a stupid
dog eating cat food and then pooing on your foot??
we all know someone like that).

12 of 19  -   Report This Post

terry

26th January 2010, 17:38
Cleo,
But what you say about Quizzes is absolutely spot on.
I've said it myself in the past,often. And had some quite amusing and heated exchanges with the mercenary involved.
You won't stop the quizzers trying their luck as long as people keep giving them the answers they want.

13 of 19  -   Report This Post

bees

26th January 2010, 19:24
Cleo,
Of course it's a perfectly reasonable question. I think the solution is to look here for subtle help and then turn to AB when you are desperate.
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

pat

26th January 2010, 21:46
Speaking as a quiz setter , I really do not mind if people are asking for answers or clues as long as they are sending in their quizzes and then asking for the follow on sheets, as the main aim is to raise money for a charity not to compete for a mensa prize.Repeat business gives us a lifeline.
So if it turns into a raffle at the end of the day so what. Quizzes have been sold to places from Cornwall to the North of Scotland, when it would have been impossible to tempt those people just to buy an ordinary raffle ticket.At the end of the day the prize is not going to make or break anyone.
Those that want to do it on their own, fine , just get on with it, those that need help should not be sneered at.
There is room for all sorts in this world, let's just be friendly which ever view one takes and keep the cash rolling in for all worthwhile causes
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

phoebe

26th January 2010, 21:48
anyone got my answer?
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

just wondering

26th January 2010, 22:09
Care to say which quiz it is pat
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

terry

26th January 2010, 22:14
Pat,
Why mess about. Go the whole hog. Post all the questions and answers on here and AB and tell the entrants that if they get stuck they know where to look. Even easier put the answers on the back of the quiz paper. But easiest of all,and the fairest, tell all entrants that all returned papers (irrespective of answers) will be entered in the "winners" draw. sorted.
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

cleopatra

27th January 2010, 09:45
Pat -

Thank you for trying to raise cash for good causes, long may it continue.
The point with charity quizzes is that people usually pay up front for their quiz sheets irrespective of whether they return them or not.

The charity / fundraiser involved already has the cash so I cannot understand the absolutely DESPERATE need to finish a quiz if you only stand to gain £10-£20 if you are lucky enough in the "raffle" at the end.

There are other quizsetters who have stopped compiling competitions because they see hours and hours of hard work demolished in a matter of two or three posts on these and other answer sites.

If they all pack it in, what happens to the funds coming in then ?

Phoebe -

Are you that desperate for attention ?

19 of 19  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Forum