CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dizoz

7th July 2014, 07:34
just downloaded this one.
looks to be VERY tough.
got 1 solution.
will need a lot of "guidance" on this one!!
1 of 64  -   Report This Post

syzygy

7th July 2014, 07:48
Hey, Dizoz, don't get your hopes up.

Won this several months ago, got congrats, & then a few months of emails back & forth. Finally got some cash in June which amounted to £70, not £100. Inquired again but no response.
Rather pathetic for a major (?) UK periodical I'd say.
2 of 64  -   Report This Post

pendragon

7th July 2014, 09:24
Apart from the frequent problem of not knowing which of the two categories each clue/answer fits into (i.e., superfluous letter or switched definition), it's not clear whether the superfluous letter is in the definition or the answer. I assume the former.
3 of 64  -   Report This Post

pendragon

7th July 2014, 10:45
The superfluous letter seems to have to be removed from the solution derived from the clue before entering it into the grid
4 of 64  -   Report This Post

livs

7th July 2014, 15:26
syzygy, try writing to the Guardian Money problem-solvers. They've dealt with things like Guardian offers which go wrong - quite sporting of the dear old Grauniad to own up to its mistakes in print, I always think!

I haven't really looked at the clues but I googled politician quote apocryphal and I reckon I found the right one quite easily, as if you take out the spaces it's 27 characters long. If I'm right it's by That Woman, otherwise I'm completely wrong. Hope that helps, dizoz.
5 of 64  -   Report This Post

nlb

7th July 2014, 15:38
The only answer I am sure of is 19a. After parsing I had to add an extra letter to complete the answer.
6 of 64  -   Report This Post

nlb

7th July 2014, 18:35
Wrong. Take a letter out after parsing. Driving me potty.
7 of 64  -   Report This Post

nikki

7th July 2014, 19:13
I am joining this thread now,
I finally managed to download the print version (I was getting nowhere fast by trying to work on it online). Have now filled-in two thirds of it on paper, but my missing letters do not begin to make a plausible quotation from anyone!
No doubt I will be back to share ideas!
8 of 64  -   Report This Post

taniabaxide

7th July 2014, 22:30
Not her I'm afraid. It's a him from a different country to hers.
9 of 64  -   Report This Post

livs

8th July 2014, 08:25
Yes, I realised that when I'd logged off to take a look at my printed-out version and wrote out the quote. When counting the letters on my fingers at the laptop, I'd managed to miss a couple! To quote the great Murray Walker,

"...Unless I'm very much mistaken......And I am very much mistaken...".

10 of 64  -   Report This Post