CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rickye

29th June 2014, 13:30
Has fun with this one and all done but seek reassurance as to 19ac - second letter A or I? Assume A - and as to the significance of colouring in the hidden words. Does the abbreviation bit refer to the shortened country?
1 of 15  -   Report This Post

givuzaklu

29th June 2014, 13:47
I would put A as the second letter of 19a North America in the clue indicates these letters. The abbreviation is the first letter of one of the sets to be highlighted.
Talking of highlighting, is the title an indication of which colour to use or is there some other meaning to 22a?
2 of 15  -   Report This Post

clueless22

29th June 2014, 16:08
That's all I take the significance of the title to be.

I've got 14 cells to be highlighted (the central column), but can't find the others.

Where are they?
3 of 15  -   Report This Post

ollie

29th June 2014, 17:13
clueless22 : consider the 4th word of the 'help' given by the extra letters.
4 of 15  -   Report This Post

barretter

29th June 2014, 17:17
Reading the Wikipedia entry on the place helped me, and don't forget the abbreviation.
5 of 15  -   Report This Post

clueless22

29th June 2014, 17:57
I still can't see it!
6 of 15  -   Report This Post

givuzaklu

29th June 2014, 18:06
Clueless 22 You won't see it unless you know what you are looking for. On Wiki there's a street map of the location in Sarajevo. It runs across at right angles to your vertical highlighting.
7 of 15  -   Report This Post

lavengro

29th June 2014, 18:15
clueless 22 The puzzle title itself (the word) is a cryptic reference to what you have to highlight. Otherwise think of a symmetrical way to accommodate your remaining 8 letters. My OWN problem is the highlighting colour ! If we are to follow the "uncryptic" hint of the puzzle title (cf take the answer to the clue in question) then I must look for my coloured crayons ! Or else the title is a plain cryptic reference (see above) to the "symbolic" huge and utter cost as the aftermath to the event .....in which case the highlighting might well simply be the obvious and usual macabre colour. Am in a quandary ! ! Will welcome comments / hints as to HOW the shading should therefore be, assuming the 22 cells that have to be shaded are now obvious to all.
8 of 15  -   Report This Post

clueless22

29th June 2014, 18:20
Ah, thanks GivuzaKlu. I never would have got that.

I'm still a bit confused. If I include an abbreviation (1 letter), that gives 23 cells, doesn't it?
9 of 15  -   Report This Post

clueless22

29th June 2014, 18:28
Sorry! Being extra thick today. It's only 22 (because 1 cell is shared)!
10 of 15  -   Report This Post