CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

hederjc

23rd January 2010, 19:09
What does (in combos) mean when added after a word? Today\'s clue, (birds, in combos).
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

terry

23rd January 2010, 19:17
According to my dictionary a combo is a small jazz band. Er,um. I guess here it means more than one, a name for a flock of a particular sort of bird,like a covey of partridges, skein of geese,etc.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

coline

23rd January 2010, 20:28
We do not know how many letters are in your required answer, but it could be "flocks" as birds in a group are a flock.
Colin
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

hederjc

23rd January 2010, 20:36
Actually the answer was avi. I do this same crossword daily and often run into a clue that includes (in combos). It often reads like this clue (ego, to Caesar).
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

coline

23rd January 2010, 20:46
Well, all I know is that there is an American Metal Band called AVIAN, whether the compiler wanted the AVI part of the Band (combo) Avian to represent "birds" I cannot say. Incidentally, I do not get ego (for Caesar) at all.
Colin
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

hederjc

23rd January 2010, 21:26
When refering to Caeser in a clue, they are looking for the Latin word that Caeser would use for ego. I actually thought combos might be a historical reference or maybe a geographic reference as part of the clue.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

sam

20th February 2010, 17:25
The "in combos" clue is similar to the "prefix" clue. In the one you refer to, the answer is "avi," which is used in words like "aviation", "aviator", "avian" (hence the "bird"), etc. In the puzzle I did yesterday, the clue was "half, in combos." The answer was "demi", like "demigod". Does that make sense?
7 of 7  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » in combos