CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

pastiche

22nd April 2014, 16:08
Can anyone name the brother of a famous author who was a missionary on a remote island and had the middle name of a wading bird?
1 of 20  -   Report This Post

harrhy

22nd April 2014, 16:20
Google:
author "brother was a missionary"
and look down the list until you come to the name of a famous author.
2 of 20  -   Report This Post

pastiche

22nd April 2014, 17:07
Obviously tried this multiple times but is such a good question it appears to have even beaten Google!
3 of 20  -   Report This Post

harrhy

22nd April 2014, 17:13
If you type in exactly what I wrote and look down for the lalique link you'll get it
4 of 20  -   Report This Post

cosmo123

22nd April 2014, 17:43
Steven Hislop , Brother of Alexander ??
5 of 20  -   Report This Post

pastiche

22nd April 2014, 17:43
Thank you so much! I think the search using inverted commas helped!
6 of 20  -   Report This Post

harrhy

22nd April 2014, 18:30
Yes, using the inverted commas forces a search for the phrase rather than unconnected words. Its invaluable for good results on Google.
The author is much more famous than Alexander Hislop.
7 of 20  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd April 2014, 18:59
Pastiche, is this the latest edition of the quiz where the setter/editor specifically asks people not to seek help? I think I helped you on an earlier one of these - you've had quite a few - and then discovered the setter tried to discourage people simply asking others for answers.
8 of 20  -   Report This Post

aldobear

22nd April 2014, 19:10
Malone - yes, this is from the latest Great Fun Quiz. Pastiche knows the quiz rules and he's been told enough times on here, but he continues to abuse the quiz setter. Sometimes there's just no hope. Pastiche is one reason why I gave up doing this quiz.
9 of 20  -   Report This Post

harrhy

22nd April 2014, 19:34
I suspected that this was a quiz where answers should not be given online but in fact I can find no reference to this restriction on the site for the Great Fun Quiz
http://www.greatfunquiz.co.uk/
It does however encourage participants to use Google and of course it helps if you know how to limit your results helpfully on that search engine.
10 of 20  -   Report This Post