CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

harlequin

13th April 2014, 20:39
34 ac. Merchant catches trucker on Route 66, say, grabbing money (12, two words). With what I've got, I think it is 'tramp steamer', but cannot parse it. Anyone know if I'm way off the mark here?
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

rogerjw

13th April 2014, 21:00
Could you please let us know any letters that you have and if you know that the two words are (5,7). Thanks
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

harlequin

13th April 2014, 21:14
With Mephisto, you are not given the word-breaking pattern. The clue is just as I gave it.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

ab

13th April 2014, 21:31
I don't know the crossword but presumably it works on the usual principles and you have some crossing letters you could give?
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

malone

13th April 2014, 21:34
'Catches' gives Traps
Grabbing Money gives M (so Tramps)
Teamer is a trucker, truck driver in America. It's usually 'teamster' but Chambers gives 'teamer' too.

So... Tramp Steamer, merchant (ship).
Phew!
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

harlequin

13th April 2014, 22:02
Thanks Malone. I had figured the 'traps' as 'catches', but didn't check the alternative to 'teamster'. Thanks to other contributors as well.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

malone

13th April 2014, 22:24
Happy to help. I'd done this crossword earlier, but hadn't given a thought as to how the clue worked - your post/question made me curious!
7 of 7  -   Report This Post