CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

dizoz

5th March 2014, 02:50
hi all, especially nikki!!,
reaching point of frustration with this genius. normally not too mystified by genius clues, but in this one, category of themed "famous ?????," and/or which 11 clues are "the ones" would really get me back on track.
41 of 62  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th March 2014, 02:55
9 of the 11 themed (lacking definition) ones are down clues dizoz...the ones that got me started were 16A, 5D and 6D...
42 of 62  -   Report This Post

neveracrossword

5th March 2014, 10:18
Hi dizoz, 5D and 12D are enough to give you the theme and are really straightforward clues. I must confess I had to use Google to help me with the themed answers, as some were new to me! Finished now but am not really happy with my 24A solution, as I can only get one answer which does not mean a thing to me, other than the bad guy!
44 of 62  -   Report This Post

ixion

5th March 2014, 10:28
Where Samuel Pickwick ended up?
45 of 62  -   Report This Post

neveracrossword

5th March 2014, 11:39
Thanks Ixion, I can see that now!
46 of 62  -   Report This Post

ffannie

5th March 2014, 11:42
dizoz:

You should have some written in now

Take 5. What might butt you? How else can you say 'for example'?
47 of 62  -   Report This Post

livs

7th March 2014, 11:15
Hi guys! Printer failure on Monday plus subsequent distractions (e.g. work) have held me up with this one.

I can report that for those of us using Plan B to get the Genius, the print version appeared early and without even having to add numbers to the address - well done, Grauniad, you were SO CLOSE to getting it 100% right this month.

I was also delayed by my own stupidity as I misread the instructions as saying that the answer to the 11 clues would be the first, not the second part of the whole answer. I got the blessed football supporter first, and thought that the theme must be markets (it fitted the clue so well) or museums (Washington).

Realising it was the second part left me bemused (too common a name), but when I came here last night and found the hint for the German emperor I realised what it was all about, and this morning I woke up with two themed answers floating before my eyes, so later on I hope to fill in a few more.

Dizoz, maybe you're at a disadvantage (again) because they'll be well known to Brits and maybe not so well known in Oz.

I once caught an episode of 'Australian Masterchef' on UK TV, and when the judge said, "Wow! That looks like something you'd see in a restaurant!", I expected to see a miniature abstract work of art on a plate. Instead it was an enormous helping of steak and chips. Sensible people, Australians!
48 of 62  -   Report This Post

livs

7th March 2014, 11:20
PS to Dizoz - you said,

'missed 128 (in hospital)'

Hope everything's OK now.
49 of 62  -   Report This Post

dizoz

9th March 2014, 04:28
hi livs,
yes , 2 weeks in and out in feb and just come out in march (old age probs) . rejoined struggle with genius 129. you are right, not familiar with uk cooks/chefs, except gordon r and jamie o. got a part 2 for 16a - SMITH - can't find first name to fit. still working on it..
cheers
dizoz
50 of 62  -   Report This Post