CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

3rd March 2014, 18:59
I don't like answers being given for prize crosswords. I never send in entries myself, but I worry that unscrupulous characters might submit answers that they were "given".

No problem with non-prize crosswords - you can always decide whether or not to look for help. The crossword I do (Guardian) has an online "cheat" facility, after all.
21 of 62  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd March 2014, 19:04
Ffanie, I think you are over-reacting.

I don't think any actual answers have been given here. Sudokulover said 'lead to surnames of famous...' The ???? could be poets, stars, girls, dames...

I had never heard of the Guardian Genius till I saw threads here - the banter, the moans about the puzzle, the moans about the Guardian website, the shared pleasure in a good puzzle etc were what prompted me to start doing the Genius.
22 of 62  -   Report This Post

xwordfan

3rd March 2014, 19:11
Answers were NOT given , just hints.
I come on the forum sometimes to ask for help, sometimes to give help. Mostly people on here are friendly, supportive and willing to help at whatever level.
It's a matter of conscience whether a person who has got hints/answers from here, actually enters a prize puzzle.
23 of 62  -   Report This Post

cmk

3rd March 2014, 19:21
I must say I prefer hints to answers (and I think what we have here today were hints).

It is a bit annoying when you unavoidably read an answer that has been given, though, and I would prefer it if people preceded those with a spoiler alert.

As to whether you should morally submit a crossword if you've had help, well, what constitutes help? Asking a friend, consulting a dictionary, Google? Prize crosswords are basically a lottery, and wouldn't work if you had to swear an affidavit that your solution was your own unaided work (like kids comps in the comics I used to read.
24 of 62  -   Report This Post

ffannie

3rd March 2014, 21:03
Thank you all for your reasonable responses. I guess I was rather hasty and acted rather like a stranger coming into a bar and telling the regulars what to do.

I do like discussions around the clues without revealing the solution and theme and look forward to enjoying this site.
25 of 62  -   Report This Post

chrise

3rd March 2014, 21:07
Belatedly, welcome, ffanie.
26 of 62  -   Report This Post

dizoz

4th March 2014, 01:28
hi all,
noted inputs of ffannie. spent a lot of time trying this one and have not progressed very far at all. cannot locate themed clues ( or theme detail ). a little help would help :-(.
27 of 62  -   Report This Post

rambler

4th March 2014, 08:45
Perhaps threads like these should be headed 'Genius Club' or 'RT Club' so that those of us without the paper will be warned to avoid - whatever happened to POSTING TIPS?
28 of 62  -   Report This Post

ffannie

4th March 2014, 10:35
dizoz:

I refer to three themed clues which have 4, 5 and 6 letters to write in. There is no definition and the wordplay is straightforward - respectively an anagram, anagram of a word plus an extra letter, and two words joined.

I hope this is helpful.
29 of 62  -   Report This Post

shuttleplayer

4th March 2014, 11:13
I managed to almost finish-only one left. 14d. German emperor visiting good hotel in the French Province (5). I have y-t-m. any help much appreciated.
30 of 62  -   Report This Post