CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jean

6th January 2010, 15:28
Help! Last one and driving me to distraction.
9Down G---E-? Is it Erroll GARNER (he died in January)? Husband abandoned this in disgust. I persevered but maybe will need medication soon. Thanks and happy New Year. Hope all safe.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

jolan

6th January 2010, 15:35
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! read John from Arran's thread. I'll put it at the top of the list. It's in red and gives excellent advice.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

6th January 2010, 16:19
Is this one of the 15 answers with no clue? I can't remember what I put in as it went away on Saturday (probably a waste of a stamp and envelope). I must say that I thought it was a very poor crossword as there were far too many possibilities for the unclued answers. Not a patch on the Christmas special which was excellent.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

jean

6th January 2010, 16:46
Sorry, thought I had made it clear enough that it was help with The Herald Hogmanay Crossword with the answer to clue 9 Down (6 letters), and that I had letters "G - - - E - R". This solution is one of those dreaded 15 for which there is no clue, I am afraid. I found out that Erroll Garner died in January, but wondered if anyone else had anything more appropriate.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

6th January 2010, 17:05
Erroll GARNER rings a bell so that's probably what I put. There was one near the top in which I put JANUS if that helps.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

6th January 2010, 17:12
Hi Jean,

Please don't take offence as we have been having a lot of very unhelpful posts on here recently. Not everyone reads every thread nor do they take every newspaper, so it helps a lot if you always give us all the information on starting a new thread. A mention of the fact that there are no clues for a lot of the answers in this crossword and that this is one of them would have been a good idea.

Hope that helps.

6 of 10  -   Report This Post

millder

6th January 2010, 17:25
I kept a copy and had Garnet for 9 down. Can't recall why.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

jean

6th January 2010, 18:01
Thanks to all for your help and tips. I will try to remember John's site tips for next time. Garnet is January's birthstone and Erroll Garner died in January. So I think I will resort to a pin and a bit of paper. I agree with John about the standard of the Hogmanay Crossword. It wasn't a par on the Xmas one. Maybe The Herald should revert to the style of previous years and have a full page grid with the facing page of clues and only have one crossword with the prize reverting to the case of malt whisky as before?
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

ken

9th January 2010, 17:59
Coming to this Xword late! Presume you have all completed.
9d - garnet is january stone is it not?
39d? what language from SA ??o?o?n
and a few others I'm working on...
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

john (from arran)

9th January 2010, 19:04
Big Dave answered this in another thread as CHOCOAN.
10 of 10  -   Report This Post