CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

imagcq

20th January 2014, 14:01
Hello and Welcome PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY THANKS I have set this for your pleasure,THEREFORE no individual answers are required.

OBJECT of the Puzzle/ 4 clues 4 answers/When you have all 4 answers take the first and last letter of each answer to make the final anagram. Happy solving.

A deadline of 7:00 pm is set to allow others to have a go,after which post at your leisure.

1) Went down holding end of besom I stuck in leg, couldn't stand (10)

2) Calm after couple in front leaves complaint (7)

3) Boil nutrient dirty article to be removed (9)

4) Schools dropping one dead language keeping old English version of Homer (11)

Cheers all!
1 of 18  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th January 2014, 15:27
Hi imagcq, how was the head on Sunday? Did a glass or two of your homemade for breakfast help?

Only got #2 on reading but I'll plug on. Cheers for now.
2 of 18  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th January 2014, 16:02
Thanks again mate, I particularly like #1.
3 of 18  -   Report This Post

imagcq

20th January 2014, 16:13
Thanks for dropping in Ginge, Re Sunday No worse that any other day! thanks, and I always go an have a pint sunday lunch that tends to blow the cobwebs off.

Cheers!
4 of 18  -   Report This Post

rossim

20th January 2014, 16:24
Thanks Imagcq.
I think I have #3 but the sun is shining here in Devon and I really should be outside before it gets dark. I'll drop back later.
5 of 18  -   Report This Post

imagcq

20th January 2014, 16:28
Thanks Rossim make the most of the weather.

Later Cheers!
6 of 18  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

20th January 2014, 17:23
Hello, imagcq. Just popping in. Don't see 4 yet. May not be in for the kill anyway. Thanks for the challenge.
7 of 18  -   Report This Post

ab

20th January 2014, 19:00
Thanks for these, imagcq.
Here is my stab at them.

1) Went down holding end of besom I stuck in leg, couldn't stand (10)- Abominate?
Abate is “went down”, with end of besom – m and I placed in “on” – cricket term for “leg”?

2) Calm after couple in front leaves complaint (7)- Illness?
“Stillness”- calm, without “couple in front”- first two letters- is “Illness”- a complaint.

3) Boil nutrient dirty article to be removed (9)- Carbuncle?
Nutrient – carb, with “unclean” – dirty, without “an” (article removed) gives “carbuncle” – a boil?

4) Schools dropping one dead language keeping old English version of Homer (11)- Translation?
Schools- “trains”, dropping one is “trans”. Dead language – “Latin” holding o – old is “lation”. “Translation” is an English version of Homer?

This gives AEISCETN and although it could be an anagram “I can’t see”, I’ll hazard a guess at CINEASTE?

Thanks again.
AB
8 of 18  -   Report This Post

ginge

20th January 2014, 19:04
Hi ab,
Spot on ish, 1 is (10) not (9) so past tense.
9 of 18  -   Report This Post

ab

20th January 2014, 19:08
Of course, I was out by a little DISTANCE?
10 of 18  -   Report This Post